Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Autodesk Inventor files

Joe307

This is my first post/visit to this website.

My company just purchased a Fadal VMC-15XT and most obviously wanted to have MasterCam generate the code.

However we do all of our design work in Autodesk Inventor.

The question I have is or I am wondering about, is there anyone outthere who has had any issues/concerns/tips when dealing/importing Inventor Files? As it stands right now when I import the files they all entire solid comes in on one level.

Considering the fact that I used MC5 a number of years ago,I am basically starting at ground zero with MC9.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe307,

Welcome to the forum. My advice would be to talk with your reseller and see if they can bring you up to speed with some training. Solids wasn't around in V5 so working with the solid geometry may be a little intimidating. I find it is much easier to work with solid geometry than any other form of data. It just takes a little understanding. Not to mention the changes with the Ops Mgr. and toolpaths that are avaiable in V9. If training with the reseller isn't available, or you're on your own, there are other resources to look into. A number of them are available on this website. Nothing is as good as formal training however. HTH cheers.gif BTW Where is "Upland"? cool.gif

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did receive formal training for our reseller. However they based all the training from a 2D "creation within MC standpoint". Did not touch upon importing of solids.

I thought is one sided training because, in my company's case we have to "blank-out" our parts using the NC. So that means flipping the part around many times to get the desired features.So I am kind of lost how you can flip a part in mastercam to do this and also how the operations manager would react and or NCi files would be incorporated.

As you can see I have a long road ahead of me to figure this out but any help/commments are welcomed.

By the way "The city of upland" is located approx. 35 miles east of Downtown LA.

We use Inventor 8 for our design work and Mastercam 9.1 for toolpaths. I've found that they work very well together. I have not used solids for toolpaths at this point, but you can take an Inventor solid and create a wireframe or a surfaced model for creating toolpaths.

Mark

Joe,have you called your dealer about having someone coming and doing one on one training on site to go over some of te actull questions you have at hand?

Also if you get a little time next wed you can come by "Machine time savers" (aka Haas Factory outlet)I will be there doing demos and can answer a few thought for one of our customers.