Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Questions about mill8.cfg and posts.

Albion

We have 10 machines (mostly Win2k) with MasterCAM installed. All machines are connected to our NT 4 server. All users, because of security, must log on with their own user name and password.

The problem we have is that each individual machine has it's own post and config file. We would like to make one location on the network for a locked config file and post so users can't make changes on one machine that would cause problems in the future. I have tried putting the config file on the network and changing the path to it in Configure but I get an error. If I put the file on say, F:millfoo.cfg and change the path to that, when changing to that config file in configure I get the error, "File not found "C:mcam8foo.cfg". I have also tried making a shortcut to a config file on the network and that didn't work either.

Is it possible to put the configuration file on the network and if not how can I lock C:mcam8mill8.cfg on a FAT/FAT32 file system?

Thanks for all the help.

-cm

quote:

Make the file a "read-only" file and they won't be able to change it.

Go to explorer right click on file _open properties and apply. You may have known this, but I don't know what you know. You know???

But, any user can change the read only setting.

-al

Not if you do it in file security. With Windows 2K (and NT) you can define which users have access to specific functions (read, delete, change) for any given file.

Right click on the .cfg file and go to File-Properties-Security and change the settings.

You could map the .cfg file to a network drive (has to be a mapped drive letter), but you would have a worse problem as anyone making a change would affect all users.

It appears that Mastercan can't use network paths such as "yourserverconfigmill8.cfg" to save CFG settings. Have you tried mapping your path as a drive on the clients' machines? I tried it and it's able to save to the CFG file on the mapped drive. I haven't done any in depth testing, though. Mastercam MAY forget which CFG file to use and default back to the one in the Mcam8 directory the next time you launch Mastercam. As far as security goes, you could use Windows NT/2000 security to set the directory to use only "List Folder Contents" and "Read" properties. Hope this helps.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

How about this;

If your users shut down their machines every night, you can put the following statement in the Autoexec.bat file:

del c:mcam8mill.cfg

copy f:mcam8mill8.cfg c:mcam8

(f: being your mapped network drive)

Kind of an old school way to go about it but it works at the school where I teach.

Hope this helps.

------------------

James M. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by James Meyette (edited 06-21-2001).]

Takes me back to the days of...

-managing multiple Visual Basic runtime DLLs

-when Windows NEEDED DOS

-OS/2 was a viable alternative

-8MB of RAM was plenty compared to the 640KB that DOS apps were limited to

-an onchip math co-processor was an option

-14.4 modems make my BBS sessions fly

James, ya got me all nostalgic now wink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20, and I used my Grandpa's Epson using the VALDOCS OS, oh, can't forget that lovely Kaypro 10(portable), with a 10MB HDD.

sniff, sniff

Those were the days, when, men were men, and the sheep were scared, oopppps, did I say that out loud?? wink.gif

------------------

James M. ;)

quote:

Not if you do it in file security. With Windows 2K (and NT) you can define which users have access to specific functions (read, delete, change) for any given file.

Right click on the .cfg file and go to File-Properties-Security and change the settings.

This only works if your win2k stations are NTFS. For security purposes all my Win2k machines are FAT32. Why, because we have software that requires all users to be Power Users. Power Users can change permissions on some software when NTFS is installed. This can be a problem at times. smile.gif

I have tried mapping a driver letter, no luck, it errors out. Seems that mastercam wants that config file to be in the root directory of the software.

I'll figure something out I guess.

For those of you who like to reminisce http://www.blinkenlights.com/pc.shtml . I had my first computer in 1978, those were the days. smile.gif

-al

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mastercam does only want to have the config file in the root Mastercam directory. Matter of factly, sometimes it doesn't even want to load anything but mill8.cfg. Like for example I have class settings, then I have programming settings, I have to keep renaming them when I switch them. Sometimes it'll switch if I go to screen configure and sometimes not.

------------------

James M. ;)