Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Screw Machine Training

KJS

Does anyone with screw machine experience have an idea as to how long it takes for someone with no screw machine experience to become somewhat comfortable with the machine. We don't have any experience with them or cnc lathes but we're quite comfortable with cnc mills, machining centers, and MasterCam. Any help would be great.

Good question.

I guess the main difference is that screw machines control things by direct mechanical means with gears and cams, whereas the CNC's are relying on electronics and servos.

As a result, screw machines often require much more 'tweaking' during setup, but once you nail the setup you will normally get good consistent parts all day long.

My best advice is that the operator must learn patience during this tweaking process because it can be tedious, especially if you are running close tolerance work. After a time, you will find that tweaking a finished dimension on a screw machine part is in many ways simpler than on a CNC.

The other intimidating thing about screw machines is that when everything starts moving all at once you SWEAR it's going to crash and burn! It just takes some getting used to. It's just like seeing the head on your vertical CNC mill make a rapid Z move toward the workpiece and then stop exactly where you told it to. As long as you are confident with your setup, you'll get used to the movements and realize it really won't crash unless you messed up. I would recommend starting with simple parts to allow the operator to build some confidence before moving on to more complex work.

How long this takes I guess depends upon the operator. Some people pick it up quickly and some don't...just like learning CNC milling or anything else around the shop. I think you need the ability to visualize the sequence of steps needed to make the part in your mind, then be able to set the machine up to execute that plan in a logical order.

I would say that if you train 4 or 5 people on a screw machine and ONE of them picks it up quickly, you'll probably be OK. That one person will probably become your screw machine guru and will usually be able to handle any job after a while.

Treat it as a positive learning experience, and BE SAFE!!!

cheers.gif

I don't run any now...just vertical CNC mills.

I had some experience w/ mostly Brown & Sharp screw machines, but it was a long time ago. I haven't seen one in probably 20 years, but I'm sure the basics don't change much. (But back then our 'software' consisted of paper and pencil!) I'll bet the newer machines are nice though. Like I said, be patient as with learning anything new and you'll be fine. Learn to crawl before you try to walk, then learn to walk before you try to run.

KJS

I ran, troubleshot, set-up and rebuilt Davenport screw machines for 12 years. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have if I can. My experience is limited on other types of screw machines but I know other guys that are very knowledgable on acme-gridleys and brown and sharpes.

Joey

Carriopaul,

We really didn't decide on this machine. We bought an entire operation from the screw machine all the way down to the office furniture and Hanwha was the machine they had. I believe it is about a $185,000 machine. It arrived yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's going pretty well. Running it goes well after alot of repatation. In two weeks we're getting trained on the software to program it. This should be a big help. The two really go hand in hand as far as helping you understand them goes. I wish Master Cam could run screw machines since I already know the software but thats the way things go. MasterCam is much nicer and has more friendly features. How is your project going?