Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Move w/o solids

woodcutter

Today i tried Xform translate to a solid and I don't have the solids package. A dialog box pops up and says you need the solids package. I spoke with my mastercam support tech and he said the only way to work around it is to move the WCS. I am completely new to mastercam and am not sure how to do this effectivly. I understand that w/o the solids package you shouldn't be able to make solids but you should be able to at least move them around. I personally think that's a load of crap. So i have to either move the solid in my CAD package or go wireframe. I'm only trieng to move my part to a known vise locating point. Any hints or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!

Alex

banghead.gif

quote:

I understand that w/o the solids package you shouldn't be able to make solids but you should be able to at least move them around. I personally think that's a load of crap

Well WoodCutter... Hell'of a post... You can make surfaces from your solid. Then ditch, delete, hide, blank, edit, destroy, make it fubar, change transparency, or change color of your solid then move your new geometry (wireframe and surfaces) with out having to purchase solids. or Use your WCS. There's probably a couple other ways of doing things also. headscratch.gif

You need to create 2 lines at the point where you want your new origin, 1 representing the x axis facing right and 1 representing the y axis pointing away from you.

Then click the WCS button at the bottom of your screen, click on view manager, then click geometry button, pick the 2 lines, the x axis first, the y second. The system will show you available axis combination, when you see the one you are looking for click the green arrow. Click asscoiative and set new origin and set as WCS and give it a name you will recognize. Then when the view manager come back up click in the C and T boxes on your new view, this will make you Tool and construction places top active for your new view.

When you hit F9, if you did everything correctly you should see a secondary origin at the point you created it.

You could also pick the solid face you want to use as your top surface and scroll thru until you find the axis combination you need.

HTH

I got the new orgin to appear in the correct place. Thanks. Is "file merge/pattern" similar to import in other CAM systems. Another thing i'm tring to do is draw out the vise as a solid and position it in the CAD sys, then open that in mastercam x and then import other solid on to it. (that was allot of "thens") That's how we did it in our old CAD/CAM package, alphaCAM.

Thanks for your time.

I don't know what kind of vises you use but you can download solid models of vises from Kurt and Chick.

Check out their respective websites.

Merging a file will bring the only the geometry contents, AFAIK, of the file into the file with which you are working.