Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Inconel

lpunnett

I am going to be cutting some 718 inconel soon and I am needing some info on endmills. I am only cutting 12pcs that reqiure some roughing/finishing (about .400dp cut) of a profile and some roughing/finishing of some internal pockets with .250 radi. Should I just use regular old HSS endmills or some coated ones. Any ideas about feeds and speeds with them? Is there a better brand of endmill to use?

Lee

I have seen consistant results when machining super-alloys, high nickle, nastalloy, high temp alloys using the following guidelines.

Positive rake, sharp tool, SFPM at lower limit, and a combination of (if not prohibited by customer)high lubricity cutting oil, with sulfer and chorine. We use MolyDee (300 ksi film strength) when possible

These alloys are generally abrasive, ductile yet work hardening. A larger chip load at lower rpm with an extreme pressure lubricant greatly reduces cutter wear. Try to climb cut.

Light cuts at higher SFPM with a water based coolant while applicable in some cases, probably allows the cutter to rub and dull as water based coolants do not have sufficient film strength or chemical additives to reduce friction and wear.

Oil and chemicals really help below 200 sfpm.

If you loose a tool and work harden the part do not try to recut it unless absolutly necessary.