Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Updating old Posts (mill) to Router X

Greg Facer

I just have gotten to looking at X, but know I'll be better of learning if I'm working on real production.

I have 2 working posts originally from 5.52 that I updated to V9 router no problem. I just updated them to Router X and, since they are mill posts, the update wanted to update them as such....no problem (I thought). But, then I started to look at the control and especially the machine definitions, getting completely lost (Where is the simply 3 axis machine!!).

Then I looked at the manual (I did have it open, honest!) and saw that the update post should create a machine definition and control definition and add it to appropriate lists. However, because I have a mill post, and Router X, it wasn't there.

Simply renaming the extension didn't work, as MC now says I need a sim upgrade to use that machine (presumably because the mill is still in the file itself)

Any ideas???

Also, where is the place to leave suggestions and bugs for CNC software.....I'm never going to be a beta tester, but there are some things in 9 and X that make me wish I was!

Thanks, Greg

Start over. Update the post as a router post rather than a mill (if you want to avoid the warning message that update post displays, open the original post and change the product type to Router). You can't update the post as a mill (which will result in a mill control definition and a mill machine definition) and then use the results in router. You need a Router control definition and a Router machine definition.

It's completely up to you if you want to modify the default machine definition that will be created in the update process. You may want to modify an existing router machine def and point it to your newly created control definition instead (just remember to save it with another name).

Suggestions (enhancement requests) and bug reports should be emailed to [email protected]