Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Size of Tabs in router

I ( thought this would be a simple search but it seems the site search engine is very poor ( maybe they should contract Google to set it up properly), I typed in "size of tabs for router", nothing found, so I typed in "tabs for router", nothing, then " tab for router", nothing, then "tabs" nothing and then "tab" and a bit of post queries and other miscellaneous info was profered, hopeless.

Anyway, I would like some advice as to the best method to use for tabs on 16mm particle board and 16mm plywood smallest part is 30mm by 235mm I normally pitch then 12 mm apart and use a 6mm up spiral cutter and leave a 10mm X 2.5mm tab at 4 points.

The router runs at 18000 and the feed 6000mm per minute I take 3 cuts before full depth is reached and then after all routines are completed I remove tabs.

thanks

chris f bonk.gif

Chris f:

I'm using mcamX, mill, and this is the first time us mill people have had the benefit of Tabs. I did a couple of simple 2d contours to check it out because I think it will save me a ton of time on some projects involving sheets (We have a router but we run mill) and it worked great. So, I did a couple of 3d contours and it worked great there, too.

In mill, there is a box you check just like the one for leadIn/LeadOut. There are parameters for how big each tab is and how much tab you want to leave at the bottom of a contour. I think it has an option to go back and finish them off if you want. I was just using a .75 endmill and so the tabs were .75 by default but I could pick how many on a side and stuff like that.

I won't comment on the site's search engine other than to say that you can fuss but would be wise to fuss nicely!

PBPaul