Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid drill not recognizing holes

RMagnusson

I have a clindrical drum with holes on the curved surface every 45 degrees in two bands. Two rows of two holes every 45 degrees. When I use 'solid drill' it only drills half of hte holes.

I know It can 'see' them because they all show up in the solid drilling dialogue box. It doesnt drill the holes opposite (on the other side of the cylinder) of the ones it does drill.

This sounds like some simple parameter I'm not putting a check mark into or something.

The FTP isnt working at the moment (reset). I can email it if anyone wants a look.

Thanks,

Ryan

OK, I got my head out of my arse as far as the FTP is concerned (unchecked 'use passive FTP' box).

The file is named DRUM AND HOLES in the MCX folder.

I'm trying to drill out the 16 .3125 holes.

...Also when I rotate the drum and stantions (lvl 3), the skin of the drum doubles in thickness. What gives?

An example is saved as 'DRUM AND HOLES ROTATED' in the MCX folder.

Thanks for looking.

Mike M.,

Solid Drilling won't even activate if there are only surfaces on the screen.

RMagnusson,

The switch Mike refers to is called "Limit search to Tool Plane" and if this switch is on, which it usually is by default, de-activate it and see if that helps.

r26s5z.jpg

Other than that, if you'd like to send me the file, I'll be happy to look it over. I just don't know if I could look at it anytime soon. HTH cheers.gif

I just got the in-house solutions books for mill, 4th-5th axis, and solids. Super fast shipping btw. Barely 24 hours from the time order was placed. Premium shipping: $10.75 extra. Not having to wait 1-3 weeks: priceless.

Hopefully my problems will be gone as soon as I plow through these.

cool.gif

Mike, I dont know if you were following my other thread about which instructional info to buy. Long story short, your products looked excellent, but my boss's pocket book dictated the In-House Solutions tutorials. When they start paying me more I might pick yours up for myself just for the added perspective.

Also, Peter Scott went through my part and thinks it is a bug with Solid Drill. He also proposed a work-around that should do the trick without taking too much more time.

cheers.gif heres to everyone, thanks for the help.