Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need to stop a "wheel re-inventor"

speedybass

I've got a guy that works on night shift that constantly "re-invents the wheel" on any mc9 file he gets ahold of. I've got a complex program here that I don't want him screwing with. The thing is, if I make the file read-only, it won't let the shop open the file on their login. I want to configure it to let them be able to open it and post it, just not modify or save. Does anyone know how to do this?

Yeah tell the wheel man youll break his fingers if he changes your program! biggrin.gif Not sure if theres any setting you can change but you could save a copy of that program on your hard drive so... if it is changed on the floor you still have the copy.

I've had that problem before as well. We came up with a plan collectively here. We put program change forms on the backs of our setup sheets, so if there is a change that will make them run better next time they can write it down. So if the program won't run write now or it will save big bucks to change it needs fixed by the programmer. but if it's just an enhancement that would be better next time. it gets wrote on the change form.

But sometimes you just have to put your foot down and tell like it is.

read only should allow anyone to open it as long as you set this permission on the everyone group in your security settings for the file in question.. just wont be able to modify or save the file...sounds like you only have this set on a certain account like Administrator or something if it only works under certain logins...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing is, if I make the file read-only, it won't let the shop open the file on their login.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

read only should allow anyone to open it