Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tombstone Machining

I am new to horizontal machining and tombstones. I was going through the WCS tutorial example 4 for tombstone applications. I completed the tutorial and machined pockets on all four sides of the tombstone. It posted with a G54 B0 for front face; G55 B90 for right side face; G56 B180 for back face; and G57 B270 for left face.My question is if I were to set this job up on a horizontal mill where would I set G54,G55,G56, and G57? When I press F9 to view the origin it is on the front face lower right corner of the tombstone. Do I need to set a different fixture offset for each face? If anyone is familiar with this tutorial let me know. Thanks..........

Guest SAIPEM

The easiest method, in my opinion, is to program EVERYTHING with the center of rotation as the origin.

This means that all work coordinates will start out with the same values for X,Y and Z if you only program a 4 face tombstone with a single part on each face.

If you have multiple parts on a single face then consider using G54.1 P1-P48 and establishing a separate workplane (Toolplane), for each part face, that references the center of rotation.

Guest SAIPEM

Rick-

You can still use different Work Offsets it's just that the values that they start with are the same.

With tweaking for first article they'll probably change slightly.

Multiple part faces would typically have different Y values in the WO.

I agree with Saipem, I started out programming off the corner of each part, and now I always go off the center of rotation. This make it alot less hard on the head when machining angles, or using the 4th axis to surface. We also have separate offsets for each part, but the z, and x are always the same. I think this way is also alot easier for the operator to setup. we dont use g54-g59 we use g54.1 p1-p48.

The center is usually the best. I have found that if you are using a b c or, u v w axis moves, a seperate offset for each can be helpful if the rotation about the axis has slop problems. Using the degree ,minute, second can help with tolerence issues also. Great post. S.Hall

now converted and zipped for ya to look at in the X folder...zipped file is called S00B04D.prt.zip and has 4 examples of hydraulic manifolds programmed with the tombstone as the center but allow for offsets to be changed...just make all the coordinates the same in the machine and move if necessary...ie g54.1 to g54.12 are all the same but g54.13 needs a few thou up for some reason

• 3 weeks later...