Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Carbon Trim and Drill Question

n23x

All,

I have a couple of questions and I am always amazed at the quality of information that I get out of this forum, so here it goes! We are researching getting a robot arm and rail system to automate a lot of trim and drill operations.

Currently, we have a big 5axis Motion Master (Disaster). biggrin.gif The part size (and flexibility) that we deal with forces us to reposition 3+ times per part which is really hosing us.

So, a couple of questions:

1.) Does anyone have a guesstimate spindle load to hack through up to 0.5" thick carbon layup for a given feed and speed? Specifically, I am curious about the physical force required to move the tool through the material, rather than a spindle motor load (hp wise). From my limited experience with industrial robotics, the accuracy is greatly affected by loading at the wrist, correct?

2.) What is the general consensus regarding programs like RobotMaster? Any others recommended programs out there?

3.) Anybody have similar experience/wisdom that they might like to share? I am all ears!

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it!

.jim

Another issue that I should probably bring up here is cost. We are a relatively young company, and trying to weigh our options in terms of the most expandability (I like the idea of being able to sling some arms around) for the cheapest buck. (Though we definately recognize the required investment).

What has your experience with the Genie been?