Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there any interest...

Albion

I've written a little VB program which copies a users personal MasterCAM config file from their private drive to the MasterCAM directory then moves it back when that user exits out of MasterCAM.

The program is VERY beta. I would suggest that you know a bit about VB so you can make changes to fit your company's needs. It does work great for our needs.

If anyone is interested let me know, I'll post the source and Windows 2000 binaries somewhere.

-al

Ah, the GPL. My penguin likes GPL treats wink.gif Mastercam Launcher has been retired from resale (that URL I sent you is out of date). We now only give it to dealers and bundle it with NetHASP installs to our customers. To those dealers interested, version 2 of Mastercam Launcher is on the way. I've scrapped the original VB code (1.3.1 is the final version from that code base) and I'm re-doing it with Visual C++ instead. New features include:

-smaller memory footprint

-ability to configure both V8 (Mill, Lathe, Design, Wire and Router) and V9 (Mill, Lathe, Design and Wire) simultaneously

-select a CFG file to use with V9 apps

-runs as an actual process in Win NT/2K/XP instead of as an application

-Mastercam Launcher config settings stored in Registry as a per user settting

-Mastercam Launcher config settings can be imported/exported via XML document

[ 04-02-2002, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Bullines ]

I was considering using the registry but since we have multiple users who can use ten different machines each time a user stepped up to a machine he's never used before the software would have to go through it's routine. Not that I am trying to take business away from your software but since it only took me about 2 hours to write it I don't feel the need to get paid for it. I also see many people here asking about a user level config file option and figured people might like to use it.

Have you played with C# yet? I've been thinking about my next revision being in that. Just an idea.

-al

quote:

Not that I am trying to take business away from your software but since it only took me about 2 hours to write it I don't feel the need to get paid for it.

The original version of Mastercam Launcher took about the same time. But as people started to use it, requests came in and it got bigger and bigger. I've received a lot of requests lately so that's why I decided to ditch VB and use C++ (plus I'd never done a tray app with MSVC before and with VB, it's ugly wink.gif ). I didn't think people would like the app because it was originally just something I did one lazy day in between C-Hooks. I don't use C# at work here, but I have looked at it. It just seems like Microsoft's attempt to lure Java developers away. For pure app dev on Windows, I'd still stick with VB for the small stuff, Delphi in the middle and C++ for the big stuff. Java has it's place. C# will have it's place. We have a lot of tools to work with biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

For pure app dev on Windows, I'd still stick with VB for the small stuff, Delphi in the middle and C++ for the big stuff. Java has it's place. C# will have it's place.

I concurr although I'm partial to C++ at this point. VB seems to work well for Database App creation and stuff within MS Applications (Word, Excel, Access, etc...)

I see Java's impact on server apps lessening as MS's .net takes off. I've seen just a few snippets some things and talked to a friend who develops with it and Sun is whinig(sp?) as usual, this time they're whinig(sp?) in court.

JM2C