Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Simulator Collision Detection

jgary

Hey Everyone,

I am wondering if anybody has their machine setup using the moduleworks machsim c-hook. I have finally got mine setup, and I am kind of bummed out about the way the collision detection works. When it brings in your tool settings from MC it knows what the 'holder' diameter is from what you defined it as in MC, but at the same time it is defined as part of the tool. This allows the 'holder' to crash into the part as if it was part of the cutting tool. I am just curious if anyone has this process figured out or if there are any work-arounds that any one has figured out.

Thanks

The holder and tool are joined together by the software - single stl and group name, then used for the collision check.

A work around would be as follows - create holder geometry, stl, and define as it's own group in the .xml file used for machsim.

Use a smaller holder def in Mastercam.

Then, if using a post that is open to editing, adjust the holder transformation to not include the holder length.

code:

#tot_len = -(oa_len + hldr_len)

tot_len = -(oa_len) #removed hldr_len

simstring = "#TRANSFORM holder_transform (1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1," + no2str(tot_len) + ",0,0,0,1)"

This will hide Mastercam's holder up inside your own custom holder. You can then independently control tool and holder collision.

I can request that.

Let me ask this - is your part geometry actual part, or reference?

Because you can collision check the tool (with holder). If you are cutting *in* to your reference geometry through, it's a pain, because that shows as a collision.

However if you tool interfering with your part geometry is a gouge, then just collision check your tool. Then you're also covered on the holder. Make sense?

Yeah, I think you're saying to check against the model of the finished part instead of 'stock' like I would in verify. That is a fine idea, and I am sure that will work. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it showing a collision when it's actually supposed to be cutting.

This way I can just use the tools and holders that I have already defined in MC and not have to worry about any of it. The reason I didn't see that before is because I have just been using some generic solid blocks for stock on my screen when I go to simulate. Now I see if I would just use a finished model of the part it should work flawlessly. I want to thank you again. I can't believe how simple of a solution this is, and how I kept trying to make it some big complex, post edit, and everything else.

Thanks again Dave,

Have a great day