Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lock Spindle

Paul McGarr

I tried a quick search and didn't find anything so I figured I ask this...

We just purchased an air spindle for our machine. The spindle mounts in the tool holder, but can not rotate. I want to ensure that the spindle stays locked and refuses to turn on. Is there a way to do that?

I am aware of the fact that I can use M19 to orient the spindle, and I plan to do that but I am trying to find a way to force the spindle to stay locked and off. I also want to stop the machine from making a tool change even if the program tries to do so.

Is this possible. I am simply trying to eliminate the possibility of damaging this $5,000 spindle.

I have a Mitsubishi Meldas 520AM control. I am hoping I am missing some standard functionality.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul McGarr

I just realized that we have a switch for T, S, and M Function Lock. That will lock out T, S, and M codes all together. This is what I was after. The only thing that can go wrong is that the spindle will unlock, but it can't turn on, or make a tool change. I wouldn't be able to program coolant, but I am using manual air, so that's not a problem.

I guess I answered my own question. I feel better knowing that I can't accidently do a tool change, etc.

Paul