Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAVING PROBLEMS CREATING PATH ON THIS PART

honeybunches

I am making a steel part that has 6 pins sticking up and I need to interpolate around each one at full depth and just stay down and cut them all out. I have tried 3D, C plane, contour, surface, etc. Even tried to create some extra geometry but just cannot get a path that works on this part. Basically just wants to create 6 separate paths around each pin, retract, and go to the next and lead in/out cannot be tuned to not plunge into the material. I want to come in radially. I have an STP file if someone is willing to take a peek. I would rather not hang it up on the FTP site but willing to email.

The path is probably super simple for a seasoned vet in MC but it has kicked my butt today.

There are several ways to do this. Just of few I can think of are:

-Use a pocket cycle with a fake outer boundary. Turn off the roughing and select "Keep tool down" and deselect "finish outer boundary"

-Program it as normal and save the geometry (from backplot) and connect the geometry.

-Toolpath editor.

The first one will most likely be the easiest.

Mike

When I try to create a pocket path, I believe every time it has indicated cutter comp has failed yet does not detail what happened. I usually try to select the top faces of the pins and not the cylinders but I have tried both. There is a fillet at the bottom of the pins so I am not sure if that is creating issues or what.

I am not very familiar with the pocketing feature in MC, do I need to create an outer boundary for the tool during pocketing? If I were to select the outer profile of the part, it would not work right because the outside edge gets cut. Basically, the only thing left standing is 6 pins.

[ 05-05-2009, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: viper1 ]

I am not sure what you are doing.

-Just select 2D geometry.

-Do you have enough room in between the pins for the cutter you are using? Try a smaller cutter just for a test.

-Can you upload a screen shot?

Edit:/ We posted at the same time. Yes create a fake outer boundary. It will not cut it. Just do as I mentioned in previous post.