Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

LITTLE HELP ON SETUP FOR 2 AXIS LATHE

honeybunches

X2MR2

I seldom use MCX for programming 2 axis just because I can never get it to work right. This is a Mori 2 axis slant bed and Fanuc OT.

I was going to take a look at the MPLmaster post and see if I can get things to work better. I was curious what all I would need to setup in this post? Mostly just machine defs?

I have always been able to bring in stp files fine and program some paths but axis are never right and inverted. When I try to adjust with the WCS, it just creates another view but still does not rotate around like I need.

Is there an easier way to work around with 2D lathes? ie, pull in a profile only or something?

Just keep it simple starting out. Use wireframe geometry using the top view. Go to planes and set it for lathe, either Radius D and Z or Diameter D and Z, which ever your machine uses. Orient wireframe so that the right side of part as Z0. Now do some toolpaths, Also take a look at the sample lathe parts to get an idea of how it works. Hope this helps.

Also a Lathe class from your reseller would get you going pretty quick if you could swing it.

A little help with setup guys. When I bring in a sample part as a solid, I think go and try to put stock and chuck over the part. They always come in normal to the part on the wrong axis. I am not too familiar with the machine defs so I was just looking around in there. What do I need to adjust to get my axis looking right on the part, the chuck, and the stock?

Import your part. Don't mess with your views.

Use X-Form rotate, translate, et.... to get your part correctly oriented to the WCS/T/C-planes.

Centerline axis of part should be located on the X-Axis of your WCS.

Then, slide it left or right to your desired position and build your stock around it.