Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CREATING FLAT BOTTOM BLIND BORE PATH

honeybunches

I was just curious how you guys might approach this. I have a blind, flat bottom hole in Al. Hole is .380 dia. I planned to use a .375 drill, then come back with a custom carbide bar with a flat bottom and cut width of .18 or so. I also have to add a 45* chamfer at the top of the hole so I planned to feed in, catch the chamfer, then proceed into the hole and clean up the bottom.

Curious if you would design a custom tool in MC for this or just grap something in the list and realize the verify will not be right? I have never made a custom tool in MC.

ALso, I could not find a way to feed into the hole, rather the paths wanted to start at the bottom. Did I miss a setting?

Your talking lathe? Yes absolutly draw a custom tool. That is what a toolpath in lathe is calculated from, it's not like mill where you can just fudge it with whatever tool is close. Read the help on custom tool, great explination there. After your done and all set up, use the scan tool geo button on the last page of tool setup.

Yes, lathe setup here. SOrry I did not mention that.....

I tried for an hour to work through either modifying a tool or creating one. All are giving me errors. When creating a new tool, I was really wanting to use an endmill as a bore bar since it might work best for this tight clearance situation. Just creating a simple cylinder as the tool but still getting errors. That is certainly an area I need to work on - creating/modifying lathe tools.

I realize that the corner rad and such are very critical for proper lathe paths. I do a lot more with milling, than lathe work. Just different animals.