Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DIA vs DOC info

dforsythe

Im trying to explain doc to dia ratio to our engineers. I have a .125 c/r in a few weight reduction pockets ( non critical ) going 2.0 deep. I know its not that big of a deal but it adds cycle time. I would like them to understand manufacturability vs cost a little better. If they need to be there then we will put them there. If they don’t then I want them to have an idea of what a good ratio is. Anyone know of a good article I can reference.

Thanks, Damian

Although DOC is going to play a role, there's a couple things that may explain your situation better to the engineers.

Easiest start might be to explain the relationship of feature size to time to cut, as many seem to miss this. Namely that the smaller the c/r, the smaller the tool, and given a limited spindle speed, the slower you have to feed it. Also the smaller and longer the tool is, the more it will flop around and the slower you have to feed it. You can also explain that the tool needs to be smaller than the radius to cut well, then show them a standard flute length .1875 EM and show them the gyrations you need to get the size endmill down the sides of such a pocket. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...