Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Teaching drafting in Mcam?

Michael Reynolds

I'm just wondering how much time college instructors allot to teaching drafting (not geometry creation, but dimensioning, etc.) in mcam. I don't see spending alot of time on it, as most mcam professionals use it for CAM, but I'm wondering what other people do. (I'm redoing my mastercam classes this fall).

Thanks in advance!

Mike R.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I spend about 2 Hours (out of 144 available) on it. I believe most use it for the same reason CHarles stated, though with the GD&T stuff that's available now, it just became a bit more powerful.

JM2C

• 5 months later...

bucket head, so you only had a total of 3days?

Me and james teach a 144 hr class you get alot of time for tool paths and drawing.

It's hard when you have a short time to teach.

I teach at to diffrent schools and one like I stated is 144hrs and the other is 60.

I have to try and teach the same amount of stuff in both.

this can be really hard to do some times.

Well all I can say is hangout here and get as much seat time as possable.

YES, 3 DAYS.

IT WAS A MASTERCAM 3 DAY BASIC MILL CLASS FROM

THE RESELLER.

YOU MUST BE TEACHING SOME KIND OF "COLLEGE CLASS"

OR SOMETHING.

HOW MUCH DOES A 144 HR. CLASS COST?

I STILL HAVE MANY OF QUESTIONS.

IT'S HARD TO GET THEM ALL ANSWERED AT THE

RESELLER CLASS.

THEY HAVE A FORMAT,AND TRY TO STICK TO IT.

PS. HOW CAN I FIND ONE IN MY AREA? MASS.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jay and I teach at a Trade School run by the NTMA. (National Tooling and Machining Association).

Reseller classes are meant for the most part to be crash courses to get the user up and running making parts as quickly as possible. You can't blame them. How many companies could afford to send their programmers away for nearly 4 weeks straight(assuming the person is going every day 5 days a week for 8 hours every day)? Not many I venture to say.

College courses run about the same amount of time as ours (144 Hours).

Mike as it stands right now we us Solidworks, Pro-E, unigraphics for almost all drawings/modeling wink.gif . We do mostly solid modeling, analize stress, motions etc. Sometimes, we actually make the part then we turn to Mastercam. Next year the sophmore level class will go from concept to manufacture with a small 2-part injection mold... probably modeled in Solidworks or Unigraphics.....

As silly as it sounds we have very little in the way of formal training for any of the modeling packages we use. The students are given an assignment, go to one of the computer labs and basically beg anyone with knowledge to help them learn........ I really want to see this change but most of the senior profs have not CAD or CAM skills so this is a slow row to hoe!

Just started making/asking/forcing one grad student to provide solidworks training sessions for all students in my 200 level course.... maybe it will catch on!