Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

online tutorials

peturk

Does Mastercam9 include online tutorials that work you through various projects? If yes, how are they accessed? Are they part of the regular help files or are they part of a separate program?

I use Solidworks and I've begun to explore how one learns to use Mastercam to see if it's worth learning.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Mastercam (at least, for educational users) ships with workbooks that walk you thru using it as a CAD tool, then, as a CAM tool. These are pretty good, though I would prefer to skip the modeling tools since we have other (& better) solid modelers.

If you're using SolidWorks, you can output an IGES or ParaSolid, which Mastercam is more than happy to import (saves lots of tedious re-drawing).

You then tell which geometries you need machined, & Mastercam generates your toolpaths. Very powerful, but also with lots of options.

Mastercam does not have a "40 minute running start" like SolidWorks. The menu structure is a bit awkward. That said, the online help is pretty good.

Richard Cozzens has written a pretty nice tutorial workbook (SDC Publications; www.schroff.com; ISBN 1-58503-089-9) which is very much a "click-by-click" tutorial, similar to the books shipped with educational Mastercam.

Lin & Shiue's book (Scholars Int'l Press) is v8, not v9, but is extremely comprehensive. One of my graduate students swears by it.

There are training disk that you can get that will walk you thru alot of features.

They are on this forum under books.

You can get a good understanding useing the On line help but you must read thru it.

As for Hy D. Tran thought on SW files brought in to MC just bring in the *,sldpart file right in . no need to make a Iges or parasolid model.

there is also a direct from SW to MC that will interface between the to softwares.