Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM X vbscripts

Most of my vbscripts written for V9 do not work in X. I'm having problems with AskForEntiy() in particular.

Are all the VBscript commands (from V9) offered in X, or some of them are not supported anymore?

Many previously supported commands are missing in the latest VBScript.htm help file.

Also, I would like to get started with c-hook and .NET programming. Are these SDK included with the installation CD /or where should I get this information.

Thanks in advance.

quote:

Most of my vbscripts written for V9 do not work in X. I'm having problems with AskForEntiy() in particular.

AskForEntity() is broken in X VBS but will be fixed, as mentioned here.

quote:

Also, I would like to get started with c-hook and .NET programming. Are these SDK included with the installation CD /or where should I get this information.

The C-Hook SDK and API documentation is available from your reseller. All you need after that is Visual C++.

The Nethook SDK is included with X. It's all in the nethook.dll file that's in the root of your X installation folder. There isn't any documentation at this time but the nature of the Nethooks is very self-documenting, making it easy to get started. Of course, you'll need Visual Studio .NET Pro (or VB .NET Pro or Visual C# .NET Pro) or SharpDevelop.

quote:

So in general, are all VBS commands supported in X (and may be in the future)?

Most are, with a few exceptions. There are some new things to take into account, as well, such as this.

quote:

Would you recommend Nethook or VBS to make simpler programs?

I decide whether to use C-Hook, Nethook or VBS APIs on a per-project basis. I only go with C-Hooks when I have no other choice (it currently has the most "hooks" into Mastercam). If a project requires some automation but likely won't rely on too much "external" functionality (heavy-duty file i/o, sockets, etc) or doesn't need a UI, or won't become too complex, or it doesn't matter if the source code is visible, then I go with VBS. Otherwise, Nethooks all the way (I prefer C#)!