Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hello all. I recently took a class using VB for microsoft apps and VB express. I am by no means a "real" programmer. I did see that mastercam has a VB macro creater. I have a few questions.

One project i have in mind is to automate the progarmming of large steel plates we use in building our machines. Every plate is always diiferent (ie hole patters, # of holes, and plate size), but the operations are always the same.

Could I have mastercam automatically apply toolpaths from predetermined operations, maybe with ATC? You know click a button and have a program automatically posted. I maybe in over my head, but used to being confused.

1)Where can I find examples and documentation on VB scrpts and ATC

2) Whats the best way for me to start learning VB Scripts for mastercam

Thank you

David,

There a many user created VBScripts up on the FTP site, see cadcam's FTP site linked above.

Have you looked into NETHooks? I assume VB Express is .NET, Mastercam X added the functionality to create hooks into Mastercam using VB.NET and C# DLL's, check out the stickied thread at the top of this forum for more information and examples.

The project you mention, without seeing all the specifics, certainly sounds possible. Importing saved operations and applying them "on-the-fly" to geometry can be done easily enough in either VBScript or .NET. I would make sure that each unique machining operation be located on its own level, this makes it easy to select the appropriate geometry for the applicable operation using level masking.

David,

I would argue that it depends on how you design your script. Personally I would setup a leveling scheme that design implements, that way the script can be written to recognize a particular level and the corresponding operation to be used.

We have a NETHook that does something similar called ATP, short for Automatic Toolpathing. What it does is allow a user to associate or "map" a saved Mastercam operation to a specific level name.

When ATP is running it analyzes each named level in the current drawing and when it recognizes a level name ATP attempts to select all the geometry on that level and apply the mapped operation to it. ATP does apply additional business rules to this process but that is essentially what happens.