Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

flatsurf.dll problem. Please help!

Hello,

When I flatten the 3d parts with the flatsurf.dll c-hook, the resulting 2d contour lengths do not match the original 3d contour lengths.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or is there a problem with the C-hook? If the c-hook is the problem... then can it be fixed? If not... then can someone correctly flatten the parts I've included by other means.

These are straightforward 3D shaped sheet metal parts that should not result in stretching and/or ripping.

The "3D PARTS TO FLATTEN.MCX" file I need flattened can be found at:

http://Allaces.com/PARTS/

Any help with this problem would be extremely appreciated...

I'm hoping that I won't be forced to purchase and learn a new expensive program just to be able to do this function.

Thanks,

Ray

John,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Can you tell me why flatsurf.dll won't work on these parts?

I'm not clear on your explanation...

Can you flatten all the parts in the file for me with text notes explaining step by step your simple way of going about it?

I’m not sure how to work out the angled radiuses of the corners.

If so... could you zip and email it to me the flattened file at [email protected]

Thanks again for your response and your help...

Ray

My first response was very poor. When a surface is untrimmed, the flattened boundary matches the surface. However, when the surface is trimmed, the flattened surface is the flattened untrimmed surface, and you have to map the boundaries by first making edge curves, converting them to surface curves, and them mapping them from the 3d surface to the flat surface. For these surfaces, it might be much easier to create edge curves in the curved direction, and creating a ruled surface. The flattened ruled surface will have the proper boundaries. When you flatten the ruled surface, have the arrow go in the direction of the rulings. I'm sending you one flattened surface.