Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone posting programs to a "cell controller"?

DrewG

James, or anyone else out there who uses a cell controller--I need to come up with a good tool identification system for my FTN(functional tool numbers). I had the choice of 4 or 8 digit tool codes, and I chose 4. Looking back, I kind of wished I went with the 8 digit codes. It would've been alot easier to come up with a system that made sense. I was hoping maybe someone here might have a good system that works real well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm using 4 digit right now. It works well for us right now. We'll see down the road how it works out.

Actually once I get Tool Life Management going I may desire to go with 8 digit tools. We'll see.

James--What type of tool recognition are you using with the 4 digit codes. Im trying to come up with a system that will give the operator some type of familiarity with what the tool number means. Out at Makino they gave us a few example's like the following example:

1st Digit = Tool type(Endmill, Facemill, drill,etc.)

2nd Digit = material type for a tool(1=steel/2=aluminum, etc.)

3rd digit = carbide or steel, number of flute's, etc...

4th digit = ITN

I find it much easier employing an 8 digit code than the 4 digit that I chose. How are you working your FTN numbers???? Thanks!!