Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spherical orbit electrodes

markb52

Hello,

I'm wondering what your ideas are on the right way to cut a spherical

orbit electrode in Mastercam. I've debated this with co-workers in

the past and have sided with the majority. The majority (me included)

believe that in order to put the proper geometry on a spherical orbit

electrode for an EDM machine you have to lie to Mastercam in the

diameter of cutter parameter box.(amount of overburn required per side gets subtracted from the radius of the cutter, e.g. a .250 ball for .010 overburn per side becomes a .230 ball in the parameters box) However, I'm now working for a shop

that believes you tell Mastercam to leave minus stock to leave in the

surface parameter box. We're talking full 3-D electrodes here. Please

give input! What gives?

There have been a number of discussions on this issue in the past. A search of this forum will provide much information (confusion??). My favored method is to use negative Stock To Leave to achieve proper undersize. We use 3D spherical orbiting on our EDMs 99% of the time.

You will have to lie about the cutter if you intend to use square corner end mills with surface toolpaths. Mastercam does not permit negative stock to leave less than the corner radius of the cutter. In these cases tell Mastercam the tool has a corner radius equal to the electrode undersize. You will get a correct toolpath.

Your method will work correctly but I think you will find this method less cumbersome. It allows you to use a library of tools defined with nominal sizes.