Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-Axis programming

Hi all,

New to the forum, and Mastercam. I'm signed up for the next 5 axis class, but unfortunately I have a question regarding a 5 axis cut that I need answered before it comes around. I have attached the .iges model (rename the file model.txt to model.igs and it should work. I'm not allowed to post model files I guess), and an image showing my problem area. The area highlighted in the screen shot is giving me some fits. I'm able to machine the surfaces on either side of that highlighted edge using the 5 axis flow tool path. However, i haven't found a good way to go in and clean up that highlighted edge. The tool leaves scallops along that edge. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use a 3/4" Flat Endmill to go in and follow that curve, while staying perpendicular to the vertical surface.

What would be the best tool path type for this operation?

Forgot to mention, I currently have Mastercam X5 installed. Upgrading to X6 next week. The machine is a xxxxOR (don't recall the model number) and has motion master controls.

post-43583-0-88891600-1337294599_thumb.png

Model.txt

Edited by baughcum6

Have you tried 5 ax curve using the surface you mentioned as your axis control? You may have to check your surface normals.

I've tried that, and it does follow the curve like I want. However, it is cutting from the backside of the surface. Is there a way to change the offset using a 5 axis curve toolpath?

You'll need to change the surface normal. This is not in the 5 ax curve dialog. Look under "edit" (I think, not at work so I can't confirm), you'll see a couple of options at the bottom of the drop down menu to work with the surface normals. Select the surface, and an arrow will show the direction of the normal. Change the normal direction, and your 5 ax curve path will run on the correct side of the surface.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to program a DMS and Motion Master twin tables for three years with a Fa*or controller 8055. Use a curve 5X toolpath with vector lines to control the head as cuts around the the part and to keep the head perpendicularl to the work piece. What I used to do was get the curve and offset contour and join the the curves then delete the curve you just offset to get the vector lines you need but make sure you are in the right plane. From looking at it ( bright highlighted line) you should only need two vector lines to control the head. Make sure you are going cutter comp left. I'm pretty sure that your problem with it cutting on the wrong side. Mastercam has great post for the Motion Masters/ DMS if you need one. It was plug and go out of the box. If you need any help just email me and I will be happy to help you out.