Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

using canned text-lathe

Hi all,

Trying to determine if everything is set up right for using canned text 'parts chute'. Post file lists the function as supported and as Canned text #8=advance chute, #7 retract chute. When I open the canned text button for the part-off toolpath it list items 1101. through 1120. Items 1108(custom option is off) and 1107(custom option is on).

Is there a switch I need to turn on in the post?

Should canned text option field display #7 and #8 as per post features listing?

M codes are different than what I need, can I simply edit the words below for the right output M26 and M27?

#Chute M code selection

sm73 M73 #chute retracted

sm74 M74 #chute engaged

schute #target for string

Post is 'MPLMASTER'

Version X3 MU1

Fanuc series 0i-TC

Thanks in advance for any input here.

Are you using the 'Cutoff' toolpath to do your partoff?

Canned Text is a very powerful tool, but it can be kind of tricky to use. The normal canned text options "Before", "With", and "After", are generally output before/after a toolchange, or "with" the entire operation.

For example, I created two lathe toolpaths, a basic 'Lathe Finish', and then a 'Cutoff' operation. I setup the Canned Text options to use "Parts Catcher Up", with an 'After' setting. Here are the results:

G99 G1 Z0. F.01
Z-2.8466
X1.9798 Z-2.9173
M05
G53 X0.
G53 Z0.
M01
(TOOL - 47 OFFSET - 47)
(OD GROOVE LEFT - NARROW  INSERT - GC-4125)
G0 T4747
G18
G97 S341 M03
G0 G54 X2.2384 Z-1.4233
M27 <--  Wrong, because we want to retract at the end of the cutoff cycle
G50 S4000
G96 S200
G1 X2.0384 F.0025
X-.02
X.18
G0 X2.0384
M05
G53 X0.
G53 Z0.
M30
%

As you can see, the M27 command was output just after the toolchange/work offset lines.

If this is where you want the output, then great. But let's say for sake of example that you want the 'M27' in a different location in the toolpath. For that to happen, you need to use the Toolpath Editor function to insert Canned Text into the toolpath at a certain point.

In the example below, I setup the Canned Text in the normal Canned Text options to Advance the parts catcher at the beginning of the toolpath. Then I used the Toolpath Editor (right-click on the toolpath, select the Toolpath Editor option) to insert Canned Text at the very end of the toolpath to output the Retract for the parts catcher . This allows you to place the Canned Text output exactly where you want it (even in the middle of toolpath motion).

G99 G1 Z0. F.01
Z-2.8466
X1.9798 Z-2.9173
M05
G53 X0.
G53 Z0.
M01
(TOOL - 47 OFFSET - 47)
(OD GROOVE LEFT - NARROW  INSERT - GC-4125)
G0 T4747
G18
G97 S341 M03
G0 G54 X2.2384 Z-1.4233
M26
G50 S4000
G96 S200
G1 X2.0384 F.0025
X-.02
X.18
G0 X2.0384
M27
M05
G53 X0.
G53 Z0.
M30
%

Note that when you use the Toolpath Editor, it will 'Lock' the toolpath operation, so make sure you've got everything setup correctly before you make the edits to insert Canned Text...

Hope that helps,

Colin

Colin,

Yes, I'm using cut off toolpath. I didnt realize there is canned text on the cut off parameters page of toolpath. I was using canned text button on tool path parameters page. I've almost got it right. I'm using custom construction and tool planes so when I move the canned text the point it goes wonky? Graphic shows tool off end of part and below centerline.

For now I'm using manual entry for chute retract after cut off toolpath, it's occurs as the last line the last event before M30.

X.18

G0X1.825

M9

G28U0.W0.

M5

M27

M30

%

Using Canned Text is either done in the Operation Dialog, or it is done through the Toolpath Editor. Explaining how to use the Toolpath Editor is a bit involved. I'll try and make a video that shows how to do this. It will be much easier than trying to write a description and posting screen shots...

Thanks,

Colin