Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Setting tool on center in a CNC Lathe

I have a HAAS ST10y and I am wondering what is the best way to determine if my tool tip is on center with my workpiece. I have a Y axis value in the tool offset so I can easily move the tool in Y, but I haven't found a technique or tool that will accurately determine the relationship of the tool tip to the work piece. Back in the day of manual lathes (last year for me). I use a height gage or fabricated gage to reference the tool tip from the ways of the machine. This lathe is a slant bed lathe and there isn't any real convenient way to do this. I have found some simple devices with a level on a protractor that you set to the angle of the lathe. These seem unreliable to me. Does anyone have any advice?

I would just use a mag base and an interapid indicator on the spindle this will get you directly on center of rotation. You will need a mirror and this takes some getting used to. for instance for a drill I would jog it back in z untill the outside margins were in line with the x axis and adjust on center line. jog back z a little farther to get margins inline with the Y axis repeat and check the x. This is based off my experience with an mori NL2000SY multi axis lathes do take time to set up. we had a 4 pocket holder in one tool station which held total of 8 (main and sub). If you are running carbide drills try to get them under .001 of center of rotation.

if the tool is a drill ect. an indicator in the spindle is the most accurate way.

for turning tools if you need to be exactly on c/l then take a light face cut on

some soft mat'l look at the tip it leaves, no tip your on center.

if the tip looks like a dome or volcano then your probably above center.

if the tip is a post then you are probably below center.

adjust -y- up or down till theres no tip.

HTH Ken,

I have already used an indicator in the spindle to locate drills and boring bars. I am looking for a device or technique to put turning tools on center. I like KH012's idea. It is so old school.

thats me old as the hills. started cranking handels over 30 years ago.

but i still get excited watching the chip fly!!!!

i have looked for a device to put the tools accuratly on center on a slant bed but havn't found it yet.

Ken,