Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining a Star

Luppino

I posted a file asking for help about how to transform a wireframe star to a solid star. I have since been trying to figure out how to cut the star. I am a student at a Community College so I only have access to a HAAS VF1, VF2, and VR2 with a rotary indexer as well. I am still very new to CNC programming (this is my second semester) so I'm wondering if it's possible with one of these machines. If it is possible could you also show me how you programmed the toolpaths please.

STAR.MCX-7

hey

are radii permitted in the valleys at the intersections? if so how big ?

what size material are you staring with?

and whats a VR2 haas? is that like their vmc with a axis rotary? (meaning the rotation axis is parallel with x axis)

hth

It's actually a VR8, sorry I mis-typed. It's a large 5 axis machine with 30 degrees of rotation in both directions.

Radii are fine, don't really know about the size. I'll attach the file of what I'm trying to do. It's basically just going to be a christmas tree run on the lathe and hopefully that star on it. The tree is going to come from a 2 inch diameter stock but the star is going to be at .75 inches diameter.

CHRISTMAS TREE.MCX-7

pretty neat!!

i wont be any help on the 5x machine, ive never programmed or run 5x mills,

i dont quite understand is the star piece going to be one part with the tree or are you turning the tree, star and the top cone as separate parts and bolting them together?

Well I'm hoping it can be a solid piece. I was thinking it might be possible to just figure out a quarter of it and run it on a rotary indexer in the mill and just rotate 90 degrees and do it 3 more times. I just can't figure out the tool pathing.

ok now were on the same boat, if you can provide me with a file that shows what the part will look like after the lathe op, i could do a toolpath using the rotary and a 3 axis rest machining for roughing and finish surface path, but i cant do it until the weekend

also any idea on what size mills you want to use?

• 2 weeks later...