Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Options for cutter comp in G18,G19 w/ Haas?

I want to be able to use cutter comp when interpolating holes and threads in G18-19 planes when using an angle head, or on our 5x Head/head (VB-1) Haas mills. The controls range from about '95 to '14. What have you guys done? G141? Custom macro's? Can you do a G2/G3 helix in that plane? Only the 5x and the older Haas's have the macro option, unfortunately. G68 useful for anything in this situation?

Thanks guys!

I use macros for all my hole interpolating / threadmilling / spiral milling, etc. on all our mills and live-tooled lathes, in any plane. It's easiest, makes the program small, and makes it easy for operators to adjust on the fly. Fortunately, all of our machines have the macro option.

No, not HAAS, on Okuma and Fanuc. I was just tossing out the idea. I can do helix in any plane with arcs. If you can't do macros, I would suggest a looping sub program that just contains the arc move in incremental. I'm not familiar with HAAS controls, but on a Fanuc you can type M98 P750001, and it will call up subprogram 0001 and repeat it 75 times. In the subprogram would just be the line:

G91 G3 J-.5 Z-.01

that makes it do a full arc and move down .01 at the same time; repeat it 75 times and boom you just helical interpolated. It's also easy to control because you only have to adjust that line and the start/end points in the main program. Obviously if you can't do 360 arcs you'll have to break it into quadrants; and if you have to linearize, your subprogram will be huge, but not as big as having to plot the whole bore, so still easier to adjust.