Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc Oi-MD maths for position

My new Doosan has a Fanuc Oi-MD controller.

If I use a dial indicator to clock zero on the Y+ side of a job then Relative position zero. Then I clock the Y- direction.

I end up with a Y-axis distance figure, lets say its 100mm. Now I move to relative Y-50. and set G54 Y zero.

Is there a way I can skip the step of moving the machine half the distance found in the clocking process to set the zero in the centre of the job.

When I find the clocking distance the controller does not do simple maths like Y100./2?

Guest MTB Technical Services

My new Doosan has a Fanuc Oi-MD controller.

If I use a dial indicator to clock zero on the Y+ side of a job then Relative position zero. Then I clock the Y- direction.

I end up with a Y-axis distance figure, lets say its 100mm. Now I move to relative Y-50. and set G54 Y zero.

Is there a way I can skip the step of moving the machine half the distance found in the clocking process to set the zero in the centre of the job.

When I find the clocking distance the controller does not do simple maths like Y100./2?

Yes.

Go to the Work Offset area and enter the axis with the desired absolute position and press 'MEASURE'.

It will update the actual offset register to the proper value.

Make sure you have the Work Offset that you wish to establish already active(modal) before you do this.

The controller itself does not do any Maths. I was hoping I could calculate the Absolute position in the controller instead of always having to get a calculator out.

Yes it does but not the way you think.

If you have the machine physically a known distance from where you want it,

all you have to do is enter that axis address and value and then press 'MEASURE'.

The control will set the proper value in the work offset register

Make sure you have the Work Offset that you wish to establish already active(modal) before you do this.

You are making this harder than it has to be.

There is no need to use a calculator for what you want to do.

What if the x+ and x- distance is 101.287mm and i want my x zero at the center? Usually i use calculator to divide it 2 to get center point. It is amazing that fanuc does not have easier way to calculate this.

They do and I already explained it.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/78918-fanuc-oi-md-maths-for-position/?p=944064

There is no need to do math on a calculator to set a work offset or a tool offset.

It's surprising how many people don't know this functionality.

It's been there for decades.

Go to 1:30 if you're in a hurry.

• Like 1

I have the Haimer 3d taster that can be dialed to the rotation center so setting program zero at the edge of part is not the problem. Here is a scenario, I have part about 1000mm in X direction, I want the program X zero point to exact center of the part. What I do now is touch one end of the part and zero relative display, then I go touch other end of the part, look the number in relative display (for example 1004.324mm) and use calculator to divide it by two. After this I jog the machine to relative 501.162mm and dial x0. then press measure.

The style showed in the video does not eliminate touching of both sides of the work piece and dividing the number by two.

I have one machine with Fanuc control that has feature built by the MTB that makes this procedure easier by letting you press a key at both ends of part and it records the position, after this you press calculate and it updates part center point to desired work offset automatically. This feature should be standard in every fanuc control.

I have the Haimer 3d taster that can be dialed to the rotation center so setting program zero at the edge of part is not the problem. Here is a scenario, I have part about 1000mm in X direction, I want the program X zero point to exact center of the part. What I do now is touch one end of the part and zero relative display, then I go touch other end of the part, look the number in relative display (for example 1004.324mm) and use calculator to divide it by two. After this I jog the machine to relative 501.162mm and dial x0. then press measure.

The style showed in the video does not eliminate touching of both sides of the work piece and dividing the number by two.

Obviously you haven't been properly trained on a FANUC control or you would already know the answer.

You could be doing everything you need just by learning how to properly use the 'MEASURE' function.

Since you are not setting your x/y at the edge of the part you need to measure the part to get the radius. Either before placing it in the machine, or after as you are now. Without a touch probe, there is no way around this. Although, you can skip the incremental movement to part center because once you know the radius of the part you can touch off on one side and type X±Radius and press measure (X±501.162 to use your example above). I know what you would like is to type X±1002.324 / 2 measure. A touch probe and Macro B will allow you do do all of this automatically but manually I don't know of a better way. 

Since you are not setting your x/y at the edge of the part you need to measure the part to get the radius. Either before placing it in the machine, or after as you are now. Without a touch probe, there is no way around this. Although, you can skip the incremental movement to part center because once you know the radius of the part you can touch off on one side and type X±Radius and press measure (X±501.162 to use your example above). I know what you would like is to type X±1002.324 / 2 measure. A touch probe and Macro B will allow you do do all of this automatically but manually I don't know of a better way. 

This is what I was after. Thanks.

Im using a 3D Sensor to set the middle of my jobs to X,Y zero. I can not see how to set the X,Y zero without having to move half the found incremental distances / 2. Then setting work offset by X0, Y0 Measure.

How do I set the middle of the job without using a calculator and not having to move half the found distance?

Im using a 3D Sensor to set the middle of my jobs to X,Y zero. I can not see how to set the X,Y zero without having to move half the found incremental distances / 2. Then setting work offset by X0, Y0 Measure.

How do I set the middle of the job without using a calculator and not having to move half the found distance?

Watch the video and listen.

It couldn't be any easier.

You simply enter the Absolute position you want for the current machine Work Offset and press 'MEASURE'.

If your part if 5 inches wide and you just picked up the right edge,

move the cursor to the X Axis Work Offset area for the currently active Work Offset,

Enter X2.5 and press 'MEASURE'.

No need to use a calculator for anything.

You are making it WAY harder than it has to be.

What I'm saying is I don't know the overall sizes of the block. I touch X- direction I then touch X+ direction. I get a relative figure of 100.256. Now I have to use a calculator don't I?

The controller will not do X100.256/2. "measure"

Majority of my parts are like this and also too big to measure with caliber. I like to put my part zero in the center so I have even amount of stock on both sides of the part.

There is no need to use the Relative page.

With a 0.2 diameter edge finder, Pick up left edge enter X-0.1,'MEASURE'

The absolute position updates.

Pick up the right edge, move X-0.1 and you have your part length in the X Absolute Position display.

There is no need to use the Relative page.

With a 0.2 diameter edge finder, Pick up left edge enter X-0.1,'MEASURE'

The absolute position updates.

Pick up the right edge, move X-0.1 and you have your part length in the X Absolute Position display.

MTB you have now found the true length of the block. You still need to dived this length by 2 somewhere (calculator) to get a figure to type into the controller to say X "measure"

Then to get the G54 into the centre of the block a Calculator must be used because you can not do maths on the controller.

Here's a down and dirty method that works well.

Scribe lines from corner to corner with a scribe or pencil.

The intersection of the lines is the center of the stock.

On the machine, eyeball the position to the intersection point.

Highlight the X Register area.

Enter X0, Press 'MEASURE'

Highlight the Y Register area.

Enter Y0, Press 'MEASURE'

If it's raw stock that's saw cut to length, that should be sufficient.

If you need to dial it in,  pick up the left and right edges to get the deviation.

Use the INPUT+ button to enter the amount of deviation in the offset.

Do the same for Y.

No calculator needed.

PS-

You might want to try using a bracketed expression when trying to get the control to do math.

eg. X[12.5346/2]

Here's a down and dirty method that works well.

Scribe lines from corner to corner with a scribe or pencil.

The intersection of the lines is the center of the stock.

On the machine, eyeball the position to the intersection point.

Highlight the X Register area.

Enter X0, Press 'MEASURE'

Highlight the Y Register area.

Enter Y0, Press 'MEASURE'

If it's raw stock that's saw cut to length, that should be sufficient.

If you need to dial it in,  pick up the left and right edges to get the deviation.

Use the INPUT+ button to enter the amount of deviation in the offset.

Do the same for Y.

No calculator needed.

PS-

You might want to try using a bracketed expression when trying to get the control to do math.

eg. X[12.5346/2]

Isnt this kind of primitive in a high end machine tool? BTW You only have to be on the right work offset and enter for example X0. press measure and it will automatically update the right axis :)

Isnt this kind of primitive in a high end machine tool? BTW You only have to be on the right work offset and enter for example X0. press measure and it will automatically update the right axis :)

I was giving an alternate method for DavidB.

I already explained how the Measure function works.

You're not telling us anything new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fuToCteErc&feature=youtu.be

Here is an quick and dirty example how I take X- axis program zero to center without calculator. Requires only pressing three keys and I dont have to input any coordinates. This software is made by the machine tool builder. Feature like this should be part of every fanuc control.

Nice function from Hartford Machines.

Most of the builders now include optional GUI driven Renishaw probing on the control that offers that functionality and more.

Doosan includes it as part of their Ease of Operation Option Package.

Did you miss the part where he said, "If it's raw stock that's saw cut to length, that should be sufficient." Why dial something in to +/-.001 when +/-.020 will suffice? If it's raw stock that's going to get cut on 5 sides, who gives a rat's a$$ if it takes .030" off one side and .020" off the other? (Unless your radial DOC's are critical for tool life, but in that case you'd take greater care.)  If the part is getting cleaned up and everything is in spec then you're golden. :)

Did you miss the part where he said, "If it's raw stock that's saw cut to length, that should be sufficient." Why dial something in to +/-.001 when +/-.020 will suffice? If it's raw stock that's going to get cut on 5 sides, who gives a rat's a$$ if it takes .030" off one side and .020" off the other? (Unless your radial DOC's are critical for tool life, but in that case you'd take greater care.)  If the part is getting cleaned up and everything is in spec then you're golden. :)

I did not miss anything, I´ve just learned from experience that when you start eye balling your program zeros on easy parts and save maybe 5 seconds doing so,  sooner or later you scrap a part because of this. I prefer using one certain way of taking my work zeros that works almost every workpiece and its just happens to be the most accurate way also.

I dont even remember when was the last time I Scrapped a part because of wrongly placed program zero so atleast it has worked for me, everyone else can use what ever works best for them.