Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Curve 5 axis problem

Nils N

I’m following a curve in Curve 5 axis and the tool is supposed to stay on one side of the line but when I post and cut the tool jumps across the line- up and then back on the line. This happens at 4 dips in the curve. The attached pics show an overall view then a close up of the motion the cutter is making. Any ideas what could be causing this?

post-9782-0-52862300-1412885087_thumb.jpg

post-9782-0-14093300-1412885109_thumb.jpg

When backplotting the toolpath save the vectors as geometry. Change from surfaces to lines under tool axis contriol and select only the necessary lines to drive the tool. Eliminate or delete any of the vector lines that can create a problem like at the dip areas and regen the toolpath. It will work nicely and process faster.

CURVE 5AXIS TT.MCX-7

When backplotting the toolpath save the vectors as geometry. Change from surfaces to lines under tool axis contriol and select only the necessary lines to drive the tool. Eliminate or delete any of the vector lines that can create a problem like at the dip areas and regen the toolpath. It will work nicely and process faster.

I am using only lines to drive this. I liked your idea of getting rid of any unneeded vector lines so i eliminated all control axis vectors that weren't needed but I still get the little hat sections on the sides. I've tried filters and everything else i can find in the settings, nothing seems to eliminate the hat sections. Attached is a file if anyone would care to look at it.

In short its the spline/arc geometry that drives the tip of the tool. The reason for the hat sections is that the arcs or splines represent an undercut at each of those areas and the tool being driven to the tip is trying to adjust to follow the drive chain which goes back on itself. Adjust your arcs and splines to taper into the center of the drop(or arc/spline) at the bottom. I am not sure if your part will allow it but if you can it will fix the issue. I placed a file here ftp://mastercam-cadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/X7_Files/CURVE 5AXIS TT_SLOPE TO CENTER.MCX-7 so you could see what I am talking about.

In short its the spline/arc geometry that drives the tip of the tool. The reason for the hat sections is that the arcs or splines represent an undercut at each of those areas and the tool being driven to the tip is trying to adjust to follow the drive chain which goes back on itself. Adjust your arcs and splines to taper into the center of the drop(or arc/spline) at the bottom. I am not sure if your part will allow it but if you can it will fix the issue. I placed a file here ftp://mastercam-cadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/X7_Files/CURVE 5AXIS TT_SLOPE TO CENTER.MCX-7 so you could see what I am talking about.

Yep I see what you did. It makes sense now that I'm looking at it. I went back and opened all the dips with a slightly larger radius so the dips won't turn in on themselves. Funny, how after seeing that, it all makes perfect sense now. I kick my self for not catching that, i'll watch that in the future. Thank you very very much for your help.  :cheers: