Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

KVM Switching

Karl@CP PISTONS

Hey all,

IT department is going to get  a KVM switch to use dual computers here at work.  Anybody have any experience in putting the masterCam dongle on it. Will it switch correctly and allow me to use Mastercam on either computer? I understand it will not run both at the same time. Also will a wireless mouse also work?  It has a usb receiver that will need to be switched.

Karl

Hi Karl,

KVM (Keyboard, Video and Mouse) is used to share a monitor, keyboard and mouse to more that 2 PC.

IMHO if you want use the masterCam dongle you have to manually change it between computers or use a network license server.

If you have a KVM with USB ports for keyboard and mouse ... you can leave the mouse receiver it KVM switch.

Iulian

Update:

Received a StarTec KVM switch. It has Dual Monitor switching + 4 port USB hub switching and audio switching.

I put My Mastercam dongle on it and it works pretty well. As long as I do not have Mastercam running it will switch very well. If I forget to close mastercam when it switches running copy will of course report that the sim has been disconnected. Even after I switch back it will not recognize the sim until I restart.

Wireless Mouse switches no problem.

If I had to find something to complain about it would be the cable nightmare. Was like wrestling a greased octopus.

Karl