Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trying to get a handle on G05 in all its forms

I'm trying to get a grasp on the variations of G05 and its best implementation on a Fanuc 31i-Model A5 control. We do some straight up 3 axis roughing leaving .05-.100 stock for 5 axis roughing before finishing. I'm wondering if running the G05 P10000 is causing us to leave a lot of time on the table. The code is calling it out for every tool. This includes drills.

I've read thru a few of the other posts about G05,G5.1, etc. and I'm not exactly sure if what we are doing is the best way to use the tools/machines. This is on a pair of Okuma Millac 853PD-5X mills. We also run this code slightly tweaked on an OKK K1000(?). I've been dedicated to a new part project on the Millac so I'm not touching the other 3 machines in this cell. Also tasked with learning the new Mazak Vortex e1060/V6?. Nothing like this challenge moving from Haas mills and Doosan lathes.

Any web resources that help break this down would be appreciated. I'm trying to read and understand usages while running the machines currently. I've got the Fanuc manual downloaded on my phone for reference, but there's only so much I can glean from that.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Info on the default implementation from FANUC.

http://www.mtbtech.net/blog/2012/11/09/FANUC-AI-High-Speed-Modes-Simplified.aspx

Each Machine Tool builder controls the implementation.

You can typically add the R address setting without throwing an error if it's a stock FANUC implementation.

Many builders simply implement AICC/AIAPC with the setting at R5 and it can't be changed.

Most of the higher-end machines have it on by default.

Info on the default implementation from FANUC.

http://www.mtbtech.net/blog/2012/11/09/FANUC-AI-High-Speed-Modes-Simplified.aspx

Each Machine Tool builder controls the implementation.

You can typically add the R address setting without throwing an error if it's a stock FANUC implementation.

Many builders simply implement AICC/AIAPC with the setting at R5 and it can't be changed.

Most of the higher-end machines have it on by default.

Thank you Tim. I was hoping you would have something to help. Have any other resources like books and such I can purchase? Not always able to use my phone while running production to work on educating myself. We do not have G5.1 running on any of the programs in this cell. It is all G05 P10000. I started adding the R values and it helped, but nothing like removing the G5 did for the 3 axis roughing. The G5 P10000 R1 took 48 min for the bulk of the roughing to complete. With the roughing run with no G5 called out I got all the roughing, including the 5 axis roughing that had G5 P10000 R5 called out done in 48 minutes when we closed for the day yesterday. This cell has struggled to catch up and break even on demand, so taking what looked to be 45min of roughing cycle out of a 3 hr program could be a huge gain for us.

These machines have the 5 efficiency levels in the control. The two are not set the same, but I do not know if that is due to previous crashes and issues. No one really knows why one is at level 2 and the other is at level 3.

Can you give me anything more to explain the different Q values with the G5.1? I'd like to try possibly implementing that as an option for trying  to reduce cycle times while maintaining the accuracy. I'm not sure I understand the differences between Q1, Q2, or Q3 well enough to even venture an experiment to see how well it would perform.

Guest MTB Technical Services

You really need to get with the applications department of your dealer and builder. AI-Nano is another wrinkle as it's an option.

Look ahead, accel/decel and smoothing Al interact so its important to know what each does.

• Like 1