Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chook vs VB Net-hook vs C# Net-hook

I used to develop c-hooks way back in V9 and prior, and I'm getting back into it now. My question is are the advantages to using the VB Net-hook or C# Net-hooks instead of C-hooks? Or are the multiple formats just to accommodate the language someone may be already familiar with? I did notice a forum post that noted you can not access the SQL database tool libraries with Chooks, but had an example of doing it with a Net-hook. I guess the bottom line is, should I switch to VB or C# Net-hooks instead of continuing with C-hooks?

I would say it really depends on what it is you want to do. The C-Hook SDK is more mature than the .NET API therefore not all functionality is exposed in the .NET API. If want you need to do is possible with the .NET API you get the added luxury of using all the nice things that the .NET framework brings.

I used to develop c-hooks way back in V9 and prior, and I'm getting back into it now. My question is are the advantages to using the VB Net-hook or C# Net-hooks instead of C-hooks? Or are the multiple formats just to accommodate the language someone may be already familiar with? I did notice a forum post that noted you can not access the SQL database tool libraries with Chooks, but had an example of doing it with a Net-hook. I guess the bottom line is, should I switch to VB or C# Net-hooks instead of continuing with C-hooks?

I would say it really depends on what it is you want to do. The C-Hook SDK is more mature than the .NET API therefore not all functionality is exposed in the .NET API. If want you need to do is possible with the .NET API you get the added luxury of using all the nice things that the .NET framework brings.

Tell me about it!

I wish i realized just how much was missing.

To get access to all operations i ended up "simply" mapping the whole c++ Operation{} structure and exposing it to .net world through interop.... now i am happy: i can get all the power of c-hook in a net hook:)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Tell me about it!

I wish i realized just how much was missing.

To get access to all operations i ended up "simply" mapping the whole c++ Operation{} structure and exposing it to .net world through interop.... now i am happy: i can get all the power of c-hook in a net hook:)

I am new to NetHook, but have a decent amount of programming experience. I am only two days in and I already have hit limitations with the NETHook API.

Can you share a more specific example of how you leveraged C++ library into .NET?

I would like to access the 'Full Set Of Features" without having to change platforms or languages....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...