Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C-Hook versus Net-Hook for Program?

Hi, I'm new to hook development and was wondering what you guys thought would be the best approach (C-hooks or Net-hooks) to the project I am working on.

I am creating a 3d model of an object with the coordinates of the points being taken from a text file. I need to create a simple user interface which will manipulate the way the coordinates are used.

I have created a C-Hook template which I have been trying to familiarize myself with but am unsure where to begin or if I should be using net-hooks instead.

Again, I am new to this kind of development and would appreciate opinions on which kind of hook I should use or any extra development resources I can use.

I am using VS 2013 community edition with X9

Cheers

It depends… really on what your add-in needs to do.

You cannot do everything with a NET-Hook that can be done with a C-Hook.

So creating a C-Hook is a more involved task than a NET-Hook.

I’d say what’s in the details of this would determine if you need to go the C-Hook route->

"...will manipulate the way the coordinates are used."

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Roger!

I am basically creating a rectangular prism with user specified side dimensions and depth. I need to create either holes or bulges (user's choice) at a user-specified depth on one of the object's surfaces at coordinates provided by a text-file. I have been looking through the header files provided in the sdk file but have been having trouble creating both a basic object as well as the interface required.

Are there example c-hook projects available on the Mastercam site? I can only find net hook examples which is what attracts me to them.

Cheers

Creating a User Interface is going to be more work for a C-Hook as you’re using C++ (MFC),

where for a NET-Hook you have Windows Forms to do the job.

Unless you’re very familiar doing dialogs and such with MFC, you’re in for a steeper learning curve.

There aren’t any sample C-Hooks projects on the site, but I can certainly supply some.

To get you something that may actually be useful to you…

>>create either holes or bulges (user's choice) at a user-specified depth on one of the object's surfaces…

Exactly what geometry are you trying to create?

Are you projecting the points onto existing surfaces, and...?

The more detail I have the better we can support you.

Contact me here :  SDK <at> mastercam <dot> com

Just sent you an email with more specifics, thanks for the help Roger.

If you could attach some project examples in your reply I would be very grateful.

I'll report back to this thread or make another post when I complete the project I am currently working on for community reference.

Cheers