Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5, issue following lathe profile with tool path

honeybunches

We don't use X5 to program this simple fanuc 2 axis lathe much.  Have a very simple profile and figured I would try it.  I brought the part in as an IGS, then used transform rotate to get the part on its side.  Then used create>turn profile to create the 2D geometry for the profile.  I am using a WNMG insert.  I generated a facing op to face the bar with Toolpath rough.  I then tried to generate about anything, first starting with the whole profile I wanted, then resorted to just a single line chain on the OD of the bar.  All the tool will do is come in, touch the start point of the line, and pull out.  I will not follow along the OD in the Z axis direction at all.  I am sure it is a simple fix as I don't use CAM much for this.  

I did go to planes and select X+ Z+, and move C and T planes to that.  Nothing has made a difference.  I have selected OD for the roughing pass but have tried nearly every combo.  Almost like the tool settings are such that it won't allow Z direction turning.  

Thoughts on how I can home in on the issue here?

I am kind of wondering if I got the part rotated incorrectly and may have an issue with my turned profile geometry.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that no-one had picked up on this issue before now :  usually when I have a similar problem it is due to the geometry.  The problem might be that the wireframe you derived from the Iges file isn't quite flat/horizontal.  If the wireframe drops even a little bit in the X axis then that section would be considered an undercut and by default the roughing does not machine undercuts. Ideally you would then fix the geometry but you can also force undercuts in the Plunge Parameters page of the Lathe Rough toolpath.  Hope this helps!