Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Viewer

Brad Eyben

Does anybody know of a free viewer that will read a solid file from Mcam? I tried exporting the file as a parasolid and opening it in Solid Edge Viewer but either I'm doing something wrong or it won't support a converted file. I want to be able to email a customer and have him preview the model.

Thanks

Brad

I think Solidworks has a free viewer at www.solidworks.com. I know it works with DXF files, which proves it will work with file types other than Solidworks files. I've never tried it with Parasolids files, but I would if I needed a viewer.

Good Luck!

------------------

Dave E.

Thanks for the replies,

I tried Solid Works viewer as well but the same result.It would only open files created with Solid Works. Using a Mastercam demo might be the ticket. Dave...is there a stripped down mastercam version out there somewhere for download that would work?

Mastercam Demo has been used in the past as a viewer due to the quality of the included translators. The only copy of Demo I have is V7.1, which does not have the Parasolid

converter in the menu. V8 Demo, when it's released may be an answer for you.

I installed Solid Edge SmartView from an Origin CD, and was able to view *.x_t Parasolid files written out from Mastercam V8. It looks like my verion of SmartView supports Parasolid V11, while Mastercam V8 writes out V11.1 files by default. Although this did not cause any problems in my test files, you can always change the output version of Mastercam's Parasolid files - say to V11 in this case. Solid Edge Origin also reads in Parasolid files to the best of my knowledge.

[This message has been edited by Dave Thomson (edited 07-20-2000).]

Thanks Dave,

Wouldn't version 7.1 demo work if it has solids. I wouldn't have to convert to parasolid then just save the solid file as v7 and my customer should be able to open it.

Would it be a very large file to download?

Funny Smartview wouldn't work for me, I tried saving as all different versions...none worked. I'm going to try a new simple file of a box or something. What is Solid Edge Origin, maybe I should try that.

Solids were first released in V7.2, so V7.1 Demo wouldn't work unless you converted to surfaces.

I just got my hands on V7.2 Demo. This would work for you as a viewer, without converting to an *.x_t Parasolid file. Contact your reseller to obtain a CD. The executable alone is almost 7 MB.

--

from http://www.solid-edge.com

"Solid Edge Origin is a FREE, limited-function version of our complete Solid Edge software. It includes 3D modeling of basic parts, a complete 2D drafting system, import and export of 2D CAD data, and demonstrations and tutorials to help you get up and running in record time."

[This message has been edited by Dave Thomson (edited 07-20-2000).]

I just tryed Solid Edge Smartview again using a simple file with a box and it worked fine, (version 11). Then after "warming it up a little" opened the file I originaly tried and it also worked fine. Guess my problem is solved. Does Smartview always show the part as a cream color?

Do you think it might be something for the "idea jar" for Mastercam to have their own free viewer software?

Brad