Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Variable height based on raw stock

I am looking for a way to write a program that will allow the operator to key in the starting height of the material and have the program adjusts the number of passes to cut to get to the final height.

Z zero would set at the bottom of the part and needs to machine a pocket to a height of 2.00mm. My issue is that the amount of stock can vary greatly and I need to take small cuts of no more than 0.005mm. The amount of material to be removed can vary from 0.05mm to 0.35mm.

We currently are machining this feature using an incremental sub program that the operator changes the "L" value in the main program based on measurements taken before setting up the part. The operator touches off on the height previously measured to set the incremental z zero. This relies to much on the operator keying the correct values.

Thanks

Jeff

Something for Fanuc like:

#600 = 2.35 (Height of product can be placed separated on macro screen or in program)

In cutting program:

#601 = 0.005 (depth of cut)

#602 = #600-2.0 (Material to be removed)

#603 = #602/#601 (Number of passes)

#604 = FUP[#603] (Round up)

G65 P6000 L#604 (Sub program call)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
On 3/28/2023 at 9:38 AM, Jeff36 said:

I am looking for a way to write a program that will allow the operator to key in the starting height of the material and have the program adjusts the number of passes to cut to get to the final height.

Z zero would set at the bottom of the part and needs to machine a pocket to a height of 2.00mm. My issue is that the amount of stock can vary greatly and I need to take small cuts of no more than 0.005mm. The amount of material to be removed can vary from 0.05mm to 0.35mm.

We currently are machining this feature using an incremental sub program that the operator changes the "L" value in the main program based on measurements taken before setting up the part. The operator touches off on the height previously measured to set the incremental z zero. This relies to much on the operator keying the correct values.

Thanks

Jeff

I wrote a program for that a while ago that's on this site. I have no sense of time but I would guess three to five years ago.