Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do subroutines in a specific way?

Accurpress

I generated a program using Mastercam but the machine I want to run it on doesn't have enough space for the file.  Removed n#'s, spaces, and played with the arc tolerances a bit but it's still too big.  Since we don't have ability to drip feed at the moment I guess the next thing is to use subroutines.  I found this video which appears to do exactly want I want to do but the person making the video skips over the part where he used transform toolpath to select ALL the same geometries within the same part.  I've found several videos of how to use toolpath transform to machine multiple parts( ie 4 vices running the same part in linear line) and I've found a couple videos of how to use transform toolpath(mirror mode) to copy geometry along an axis line but they're always using an example where they have one geometry and creating a second to have two total.  I have 4 geometries that are mirrored in x and y but not by the same amount in both axis.  I'm hoping I can select one geometry and then dictate where the other 3 will be placed but I've only been able to create 3 geometries in the correct place.  I tried selection method of point to point but can only select a single "to point" rather than clicking all 3 additional points.  Selection method rectangle got me close but I can't manipulate the numbers to get all 4.

I'm guessing I can create geometry for 2 slots then use mirror for the other 2 slot but this would be a larger sub program than if I could create a sub routine for one slot.  Is what I'm wanting to do even possible? To select one toolpath geometry then be able to select multiple areas within the part that aren't neatly arranged along a linear line?  If someone could point me to a video or pdf I'd be grateful.   I attached a couple pics if that helps

ToolpathTransform.jpg

ToolpathTransform2.jpg

As always, a sample file would be very helpful here.

This is how I would setup the transform toolpath to achieve something like the picture.

Transform Toolpath Parameters 1

Transform Toolpath Parameters 2

22 minutes ago, Accurpress said:

Is what I'm wanting to do even possible? To select one toolpath geometry then be able to select multiple areas within the part that aren't neatly arranged along a linear line?

As far as I know the geometry you are trying to machine will have to be equally spaced. The spacing can be in a line like you said, or a grid. It looks like you're trying to use point to point, I'd recommend trying "rectangular" as shown in pic 2.

26 minutes ago, Accurpress said:

If someone could point me to a video or pdf I'd be grateful. 

Honestly I don't know of any great resources for learning the transform toolpath. I learned with trial and error. The help center is sometimes very helpful and sometimes way too vague (little blue question mark at bottom right of the Mcam parameters window).

You also may need to edit your post to output subprograms to you're liking. Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Jake L said:

As always, a sample file would be very helpful here.

This is how I would setup the transform toolpath to achieve something like the picture.

Transform Toolpath Parameters 1

Transform Toolpath Parameters 2

As far as I know the geometry you are trying to machine will have to be equally spaced. The spacing can be in a line like you said, or a grid. It looks like you're trying to use point to point, I'd recommend trying "rectangular" as shown in pic 2.

Honestly I don't know of any great resources for learning the transform toolpath. I learned with trial and error. The help center is sometimes very helpful and sometimes way too vague (little blue question mark at bottom right of the Mcam parameters window).

You also may need to edit your post to output subprograms to you're liking. Hope this helps!

I got it but now I think my main issue the first time was that the transform toolpath operation was glitching out.  When I first started playing around I kept going back into the toolpath parameters multiple times and changing various things to see what it would do.  I deleted the transform toolpath completely and created a new one and I'm 99% sure I ended up using the same setting that I tried before but this time it worked. I essentially unplugged it and plugged it back in again and it worked 🤣 

Thanks for the response because your example of showing it worked for you is was kept me at it instead of giving up

FINAL.jpg

• Like 1