Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

invalid axis combination

Hello!

I am trying to recover an old post processor that I made for a lathe with Fagor800 control, from the X5 version, but when I update it I realize that it says invalid axis combination.

I have opened it in X5, and it says the exact same thing.

Anybody knows what could be the problem?

Attached file in version X5, X9 and 2017
image.thumb.png.fdcac8bacba0873f808579ae8c44a156.png

FAG800T.LMD-5 FAG800T.lmd-9 FAG800T.mcam-lmd

29 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

You need to fix the LMD-5, so the Axis Combination inside the Machine Definition, has a valid set of axes, that "match the WCS/Plane/Product" information contained in the file you are trying to "Swap out".

How can I do that? years ago it worked, or so I think

image.thumb.png.3b343bc74620613fc8c9687f29976e4c.png

4 minutes ago, ikertx0 said:

How can I do that? years ago it worked, or so I think

image.thumb.png.3b343bc74620613fc8c9687f29976e4c.png

You are Missing an X-Axis Component.

And, depending on the toolpaths being used in the original file > Possibly missing a C-Axis as well. (For any Live Tool work).

Open the Lathe Default Machine Definition, and look at the Axis Combinations, and what components they contain. Yours contains only "Z, Y".

23 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

You are Missing an X-Axis Component.

And, depending on the toolpaths being used in the original file > Possibly missing a C-Axis as well. (For any Live Tool work).

Open the Lathe Default Machine Definition, and look at the Axis Combinations, and what components they contain. Yours contains only "Z, Y".

Of course, but it is a post only for 2 axes, XZ

31 minutes ago, ikertx0 said:

Of course, but it is a post only for 2 axes, XZ

X <<<<< and Z.

NOT Y >>>> and Z.

One thing that is important to understand > The "Default Lathe" Machine Definitions often have "every possible axis" included on the machine. Think of them as a "Virtual Axis". This allows you to "program toolpaths that can't really be achieved on a machine".

This means you can have a Mastercam File, with "bad toolpath definitions" (Planes are not set correctly). This can prevent you from "replacing" a perfectly good Machine Definition, in the file you're replacing it in, because the MD doesn't match the configuration of the "existing machine definition inside the file".

In your case, this is not happening.

Your machine has a Y-Axis and a Z-Axis, but no X-Axis. 

Close the Axis Combinations window, add a Lathe X-Axis Component as a child, in the kinematic tree.

Go into the Axis Combinations Dialog Box, and make sure X-Axis is selected, in your Axis Combination. You can leave XYZ selected (all three), without hurting anything. These are not "linked to the Post", by default. 

• Like 1
On 8/11/2023 at 4:44 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

X <<<<< and Z.

NOT Y >>>> and Z.

One thing that is important to understand > The "Default Lathe" Machine Definitions often have "every possible axis" included on the machine. Think of them as a "Virtual Axis". This allows you to "program toolpaths that can't really be achieved on a machine".

This means you can have a Mastercam File, with "bad toolpath definitions" (Planes are not set correctly). This can prevent you from "replacing" a perfectly good Machine Definition, in the file you're replacing it in, because the MD doesn't match the configuration of the "existing machine definition inside the file".

In your case, this is not happening.

Your machine has a Y-Axis and a Z-Axis, but no X-Axis. 

Close the Axis Combinations window, add a Lathe X-Axis Component as a child, in the kinematic tree.

Go into the Axis Combinations Dialog Box, and make sure X-Axis is selected, in your Axis Combination. You can leave XYZ selected (all three), without hurting anything. These are not "linked to the Post", by default. 

Thanks Colin
The best thing has been to take a generic configuration file and use it with that control and post processor