Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rhino file import

steve f

Anyone have any experience importing rhino files directly into Mcam 9.1 SP2? I have a new customer who uses rhino and I need to make some tooling for them relatively soon. I downloaded the rhino evaluation version and tried importing a simple Is the evaluation version to blame for this? I noticed it won't export any other file format than .rm3

Any suggestions?

steve

...try this again...

Anyone have any experience importing rhino files directly into Mcam 9.1 SP2? I have a new customer

who uses rhino and I need to make some tooling for them relatively soon. I downloaded the rhino evaluation version and tried importing a simple surface into mastercam and came up empty handed. Is the evaluation version to blame for this? I noticed it won't export any other file format than .rm3

Any suggestions?

steve

i have rhino. it works ok using mc's rhino converter [file/converters/next menu/next menu/rhino] but there are issues with this...mc is working on it. but it works fine...usually.

i use IGES file format. very reliable. use IGES instead of mc's rhino converter [it reads in 3dm files - rhino's native file format].

now, in rhino when you export file as an IGES, you can flavor it to mastercam. make sure they flavored it to mc when they exported in rhino.

steve, they'll know. when you export an IGES file in rhino it prompts you what flavor you prefer. they just got to scroll down to mastercam... I would think they already did that. just a double check as to why i mentioned it. but if they know you got mc, they probably already sent it as "mc flavored".

oh, they didn't send it as an IGES? tell them "send it as an IGES flavored to mastercam".

Roy_23, we do a ton of IGES out from Rhino into MCam Mill 9. Out of the box, MCam would lose our Rhino layer names. Back in November of last year, ProductDevelopmentGuy uploaded a dll that fixed that for us. It was a huge help and I still appreciate it!!!! I don't know how to link you to that thread but if you do a search for something with "Rhino layer names missing" in it, it should pop up, if that is an issue with you.

Paul

PBpaul, just tried it out here at home. your right, no layer names! very much appreciated! i'll look into it. thanks. smile.gif

just got the dll for design seat at home. mill seat tomorrow at work. layer names now showing wink.gif very cool.

[ 05-17-2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: ROY_23 ]

I tried importing a Rhino file directly into MC using the rhino converter and nothing comes in...empty on every level. Did I miss something or is this a purchased add-on?

By the way, iges worked fairly well but needs some fixing to a few surfaces.

steve