Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Y/C-milling with Heidenhain 640

Hi all,

This is not a question related directly to Mastercam but I know that there are a lot om knowledge on this forum so I give it a try anyway.
My employer has recently invested in a Ibarmia THC 22 with a Heidenhain 640 controller, this specific machine has a C-axis in the table and a B-axis in the head.

I'm normally program Siemens 840D so this Heidenhain is giving me some challenges, at the moment so are I'm struggling to mill a regular 2D contour that is bigger than the Y-axis travel so I need to interpolate the Y-axis with the C-axis. I have done this earlier on Siemens 840D with the function TRANSMIT, the function makes it possible to program as regular with X and Y but the machine will utilize the Y and C-axis instead. I also think that Fanuc has a similar function but I'm not able to find anything in the Heidenhain controller. Are you aware of of a similar function in Heidenhain? Or do you have some other tips to come with?

I have looked through all of the documentation and search the webb with out any luck.
I really wound like to be able to program with X and Y and let the machine take care of the rest.

When I need to do this I program a contour toolpath. On the filter tab I turn off arc filtering and turn on break arcs into line segments. I use CAMplete as my Post Processing solution and in there I change it from a 3+2 Toolpath to a 5-Axis (S-TCP) Toolpath then force it to either be on the correct side to keep it in travel. There are probably easier or other ways to do it, that's just how I do it. 

Hi @cncappsjames

Thanks for your response! 
If I understand you correctly, your output will just end up being linear motions and it will be necessary with C-values to describe the contour?
Your solution would defiantly work but unfortunately that's not exactly what I was looking for. I'm after a solution/function there I can describe the contour with regular cartesian (X/Y) coordinates and with both linear and circular motions, but the machine motions would then be executed with Y and C-motions (or also X and C-motions).

I hope you will understand that I mean, as both Siemens and Fanuc has this function so would I belive that Heidenhain also has it but I haven't been able to find it..