Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pocket Milling Help Again

Scot

Greetings,

A rookie in need of some input again. I have sent a file (LBSUR.MC9) to the FTP site. I was wondering if anyone could take a few moments to look at it and give me some feedback. In this file, I am trying to rough a pocket with some islands. It is the last tool in the tool manager, which is a 1 1/4" tool. I am having a hard time figuring out how to set my boundaries to avoid milling away my needed islands. Any other advice about these toolpaths would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

Iskander,

Looks great. Now a few questions. I see that you have selected 81 drive surfaces vs. my original 3. What else did you change? Also, is there any way to get the tool to start outside the part? I tried, but didn't have any luck. I'll keep trying.

Thanks,

Scot

Just a note for later. I noticed the "tool spiral from inside to outside" was checked. So I figured out how to select the correct start point. When you get some time, maybe you could explain how you created that toolpath. If it is just a matter of picking more drive surfaces, then maybe I can give it a try. Only respond when it is convenient for you. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a note for later. I noticed the "tool spiral from inside to outside" was checked. So I figured out how to select the correct start point. When you get some time, maybe you could explain how you created that toolpath. If it is just a matter of picking more drive surfaces, then maybe I can give it a try. Only respond when it is convenient for you. I appreciate your help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scot !

Surface->pocket not supports nested boundaries and check surfaces ,SO YOU MUST SELECT ALL SURFACES INSIDE YOUR POCKET .

~~~~~~~~~~

Also, is there any way to get the tool to start outside the part?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nOW ABOUT START POINT .

I do deselected direction from middle to outside and set point from appropriate side ,otherwise the tool will not enter from there

So these are the settings

entersidepr.jpg

And this is a result

enterside.jpg

HTH

Thanks Iskander,

I appreciate you taking the time to help while returning such detailed info.

Do you have any recommendations for milling this pocket out other than using Surface Rough Pocket?

No need to reply if your busy. You have already helped me enough.

Thanks again!!

Scot

Scot !

For roughing I use seco bull nose insert mills with round inserts

You can enter the steel vertically rather deep sono need for ramping and this thing is SUPER FAST ,cooling with airblast

I have whole gamma of tools from 16 to 36 mm with inserts dia 8 and 12 mm

For hardened steel I use seco and Dijet bull nosed round inserts

Dijet rocks over Seco on hardened steel

Iscar slower but cheaper and not so noisy .

Still I prefer Seco .

The Time I mill my pockets with this tool plus surface->contour ->finish with flat bottom mill if you need it still much faster then with regular and not round insert mill

Invite some tool dealers and check it out .

HTH