Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Critical levels

Tony

Hello

Has anyone else had a problem with surface/ rough /pocket /depth cuts/ incr/ critical levels?

I gave up on it quite awhile back.

I have been making boundries for my finished Z levels.

It seem's that either the program will cut the picked out levels , somewhere on the part but not always where the level actually is.

If I say zero stock on the drive surfaces

and lie about my cutter dia. (As to leave stock for finishing on the sides everywhere.

It sometimes cut's only half of the level called out..

It's never flawless.

It would be nice to rough out yet finish the Z at the same time.

Tony

frown.gif

tony you must be doing some thing wrong i use that all the time.

love that option.

used to have to create a surface were the tool would stop. not any more using that.

i can tell it to stop at this depth and no extra geo.

we ned to go over this . may be i can make a tool path using it and put it on the FTP for you to look at it.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

I believe I have run into a similar problem where the level I have chosen the tool will leave an island or scallop on the surface. After pulling my hair out I found the surface wasn't exactly flat. Where I used surface edge curves and created lines 3d c/p vertical and horizontal lines to make the surface boundary and my chaining tolerance was set to .0004. !!!! MAKE SURE THE LEVEL IS FLAT!!!!!

This is probably the problem.

Squash surfaces hmm... A little trick if the surface is flat but slightly on a different plane. If the surface needs to be in say the top plane and it is not, Create edge curve on it and Xform_translate_between views_ source view( pick entity- your surface) and to view (top) and pick the edge curve same endpoint both times. Bam! it is there. This is only helpful if the surface is in a defined view.. UV lines running on angles will not do it easily. That takes a little more manipulation.

tony after reading your guys replys i am wondering if i am missing some thing here.

what exactly is not working for you if i may ask.

i was playing with it right after i read your post trying diffrent things.

it seemed to work well in the roughing state.

but may be there is some thing you want to see it do that i am not getting.

wood like to help & take back my statment that said you are doing some thing wrong.

i really dont like the word wrong.

thanks Cadcam

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Jay, what I am referring to is .... say you have a surface that appears to be flat and you pick the surface endpoint for a critical depth. Then the tool either doesn't cut the surface at all or it cuts only a portion of it. This is happening because say you picked the lower left endpoint of said surface and it is -1.0000 and and if you had picked the upper right hand endpoint it would have set the critical to -.9995 or even -.9985 for arguments sake. It will not cut the surface or only a piece of it depending on your tolerance.

I think that is what Tony is running into.

Besides pissing off all of the cornhusker state by some remarks I made about Tom Osborne in a news group ...pretty good.

We have gotten hammered with work these past couple of weeks, and I leave for a four day weekend in about 4 hours.

Going back home to NY to do some golfing and visiting family. My grandfather's b-day is Saturday. He will be 84 and the whole family is getting together.