Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modified Pocket Machining

mcrae_andrew

Need some suggestions to a problem. Machining a channel in a large part. Want to fisrt machine down the center of the part and then to step up and down (on Horizontal Machine) to continuously climb mill, ie - all changes in Y will be at the same X values rather than the pocket machining option which will step over the width of cut when it spirals from the center outward.

I can take the posted code and modify all x values but this isn't the right solution.

What do you suggest Jay and James - You guys have 3 Hours left to figure this out before the end of the day!

Andrew

I am not sure of what you are asking i am trying to work with it.

sounds like a zig-zag up & down but start from the center climbing all the time.

if you can please give some more thought on this. thanks jay

adding more thoughts here.

do you want the moves to be the same in step overs in "Y" as they are in "X" steps?

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

It'd try "Open Pocket" and use "Open Pocket Method". This will do channels and climb all the way to Alaska if you ask it to.

I'm guessing that I did not make your three hour requirement. Sorry. frown.gif I was working Swing Shift today/tonight. You'll have it first thing though. tongue.gif

cadcam - As a rule, I like my wife reserve the right to change my mind at any time before, after or during any conversation/situation as mood or need would dictate. I was working with someone who has V7 and knows what kind of a tool path that he would like but just can't get the proper output from MC. This spiral from Outside to Inside will cause the tool to be full engaged twice per toolpath (not the optimum for tool life) but the bandaid should hold until the job is done.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

.......Version 7, sorry to hear that. frown.gif Not that it's bad. It was great in it's day. But now with V8, it's not so great anymore.

With Open pocket, you're only engaged at full diameter for the first pass, then less engagement for the remaining passes.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

What Jay said! I would think that the only way to avoid foll engagement at all cost would be to drill a pilot hole and to constant overlap spiral from inside out. Only stepping over about 5-10% cutter diameter. Is that material that nasty that full engagement at a 10% diameter would smoke the tool?

4 Inch Button Cutter - Hanging out on a Varilock 50 Extension to give a gauge length of 12" (No anti-vibe avail).

You're right, 4140 cuts great but it could have been a worse material.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Andrew,

That's a MEAN gage length. No matter what you're machining strategy ("trochiodal" or otherwise) unless that part is dead solid, there will be vibration, you just have to try to find the sweetspot.