Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d contour works, then doesn't

mowens

We are very new to Mastercam. We drive mostly 2d contours. Sometimes when we read in a file that worked fine and posted fine the closed contour that worked initially will then not go all the way around and we have to go and rechain. My partner picks his chains from top view with ignore depth toggled, so he ends up with pieces of the chain on different z levels. Could this have something to do with it? As I said, we are very new to Mastercam. Thanks

Are you sure your not deleting entities by accident?

Is your chain one colour?

Try squashing your geometry to one z depth.

ie, XFORM/ SQUASH, pick your entities and then select either to squash them to the current construction depth or another depth to be defined in the box.

Make sure when you are squashing to be in the correct C-PLANE, I'm guessing top plane.

I usually view my chains in ISO.

HTH.

If not let me know what I can do for you, maybe e-mail the file.

mowens,

It's possible that the default chaining options are breaking the chain up when you open that file after re-initializing. Mcam's configuration settings don't have any chain options selected but you can change that and see if it helps. Select Screen-Configure-Screen tab and look for the Chaining Options button towards the bottom of the page. If you activate the "Ignore depths" option here, it will save it to the configuration so it will always be on when you open Mcam or a new file. I'm curious why your partner picks chains using ignore depths. Even with 3D geometry, there may be easier ways to select geometry for 2D contours. HTH cheers.gif

Even if a chain looks linked 2D wise, it has to be linked in 3D in order to chain.

For instance, if you have a half circle at Z0. and you have the circle's other half at Z100. they will not chain in the top view.

Either Squash them as said, or draw in 2 extra lines that will connect the Z0. half circle to the Z100. half circle. Then you can select the high half circle, then the down line, then the low half circle, then the up line that connects to the other side of the high half circle. That will be a valid 2D contour chain.