Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Smartcam *.SH3 Conversion

Ambassador

I have a customer that is buying up some MC and is a Smartcam user. There is no direct way that I can think of to read these files in directly. The computer that they have is on it's last "DOS" legs. I guess I was looking for an external file converter that would convert the whole directory into something readable for MC.

Ambassador

Sorry to say that i know of, Not at this time.

I suggest taking the time to change them into IGES if they can and bring them in.

Of cousre you will loose the tool paths.

all parts will have to reprogramed unless they have the Gcode backed up to.

Then they can use the model to see how it was picked up.

good luck

Ambassador,

There is the 'cam connection' that was included in the window versions of Smartcam that will convert a .sh3/.pm4 file to iges or dwg format. I still have V11.0 loaded on my current machine, and use it alot.

I still have the 5 1/4 floppies for V4.xx. But I'm missing a computer to read them! On my last computer, I had the dos version loaded for the 'Tape to Shape'! rolleyes.gif

If you can find someone will willing to convert all you .sh3's to iges, that is your best bet. We find that that capturing the Smartcam geometry and using the JobPlan info, we can re-program in Mastercam fairly quickly! And for most programs, you would want to re-program to take advantage of new process.

Hope this helps!

Kathy

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: kathyric ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you were to be able to get them all into IGES format, it would be a smap to get them into Mastercam format from there. There's a nifty little utility in Mastercam called File, Converters, IGES, "Read Dir". This will convert entire directories and write them to the default Mastercam fiel location. I converted about 130 files in about 5 minutes. Mighty impressive if you ask me.

JM2C

AmbASSator - Great to see things are going well. There is an account just around the corner from that guy with the same problem. Perhaps the best way is if your buddy Vince will pony up a bogus copy of SmartCAM to help you out (LOL wink.gif).

Kathy and Luc are right on - use the Iges or DWG(for ACAD v14 only) and then apply the tool paths in V8 or V9 as the Associativity will blow them away. Have they bought yet?

I have a copy of SmartCAM if you need some closer help than Luc (to develop a work around).

Andrew