Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Yasnac 2000G RS232

Davidgil

We have an old Miyano Miyanomatic CNC-6BC with a Yasnac 2000g control on it. The control has a tape reader and a 25 pin port that I believe used to interface with a Facit tape puncher. I was thinking it would be nice to make use of this machine, and if I could some how interface with it through RS232 I could talk them into getting MasterCAM lathe and ...happy days smile.gif . So my question is this, is it possible to interface with this control through RS232 in its current 1980 configuration, or will I need to buy a BTR card system or something? Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks very much in advance for any insights.

David

We have a Mori-Seiki SL2 with the 2000G [bouncing ball] and a Mori-Seiki SL4 with the 2000GII [with CRT] that both communicate through RS-232. The guy that's been here since the machines were new says they had to put a card in the machines when they dumped the tape reader but he can't remember what it was exactly. The communication works fine although the baud rate is low [1200].

C

Davidgil

I dont know if this will be of any use but the manual for 2000g control can be downloaded free of charge from yaskawa web site. They actually (believe it or not) will provide technical support over the phone.

Worst case e-bay a tape punch.

YASNAC SERVICE IS PROVIDED BY YASKAWA

In USA or South America: Our full Technical Support Staff and Call Center are available

by phone at 800-927-5292, menu option 4 or by email, weekdays, 7am to 7pm (CST).

In Canada: Contact Yaskawa Motoman Canada by phone at 800-854-4124 or

by email, weekdays, 8am to 6pm (EST).

In Mexico: Contact Pillar Mexicana by phone at 52-55-5660-5553 or

by email, weekdays, 9am to 6pm (CST).

After-Hours Emergency Service: Available by phone at 800-927-5292, menu option 4.

While this thing is older than dirt it is closed loop, follows orders and has real time diagnostic output. While I still curse the day I offered to help my freind with his, if you manage to get it going I can e-mail you an operational procedure for a Mori Seiki SL-2. [email protected]

Best of luck

C.B.

Mitsubishi still has the manual for download for the old DC spindle drives

David,

I have been working with a Mori SL4 recently and it is configured the same way. I haven't been able to send data both ways yet (to machine doesn't work so far). But here is what I have found. There is a parameter (#59) that has to be set in the control to X=3 and Z=13774 (for a baud rate of 1200). In order to change this (and any other) parameter you must set the roller switch located next to the tape reader to 1. Make sure you set it back to 0 when finished or the lathe will not operate. Somewhere I found that the setting for you communication software must be set to even parity, 7 data bits, and 1 stop bit. The pin out on the cable is a little "unique" in that it uses 15,16,17,18,19 to connect to 3,2,5,20,7 respectively.

Please, let me know if you find anything further.

Hi,

Great info rdowns! The above info assumes a DB25 connection on the computerfor the RS232 port(remember the old AT/XT computer serial port that was a DB25 male?)

The pinout on the machine is:

15 SD (Send Data or Transmit)

16 RD (Receive Data)

17 RS (RTS)

18 CS (CTS)

19 SG (Signal Ground)

14 FG (Frame Ground - Shield or Drain Wire)

One other thing of note on the 2000G controller - parameter #82X selects between (0) for EIA and (1) for ISO. If all else fails on the RS232 side then tape emulation can be accomplished easily with a sanyo denki style BTR (Behind the Tape Reader) board.

Regards,

John Carpenter

www.WireFreeCNC.com

• 2 weeks later...