Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Iges Translator leaves out drafting entities

beej

version X When I open an iges file exported from Cadkey, I'm not getting any dimensions, labels or leaders. When I scan the file it tells me they are there. And masking has all entities selected. I'm wondering if they are there and I'm just not seeing them. there are only 2 levels and neither have drafting entities on them.

Pete,

I just tried that and it says there are none. I was wondering about that too. I'm glad to learn about the report feature though.

when the conversion is taking place, I see flashes of dimensions that quickly disappear right over the origin even though the geometry is usually 50 inches away. that made me think they are there somewhere. but the report definitely says they are not.

In my experiences with IGES files, IGES does not support drafting entities. Every time I've exported iges from CAD software (Rhino mostly) it gives me a message/warning saying IGES does not support drafting, and X number of entities were not exported. Just the way it goes I suppose.

We do indeed read drafting entities in our IGES importer (V9 and X). What I found in the file that Beej sent me is that there's a bug in X in reading drafting entities with 'transformation matrices' (IGES entity 124) applied to them. It reads them, moves them, and inadvertantly deletes both the original ones (hence the 'flashes' reported above) AND THE NEWLY MOVED ONES.

Unfortunately, this won't be included in SP1 (that barn door's closed), but we'll try to make it available as a patch soon.

If you've got access to V9, use it instead to read in the IGES file and then open that resultant MC9 file in X. Sorry about any problems this causes.